Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys another problem with the 92 vulcan 750... started it waited for it to heat up idled perfect around 1,000 rpms went for a drive maybe a 1/4 mile noticed smoke coming from the middle of the bike? Around the battery but more towards the engine, pulled it to the side after a while it started spitting out from the sides. Took it home noticed a drip coming from a black hose and dripping off a bolt near the black hose. Cant afford to take it to a garage right now any ideas on what it could be?

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
There are 2 possible black hoses in that area. One is overflow from the coolant reservoir other is fuel tank vent.

Some wet cell batteries also have a vent hose that comes out near there

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I had something similar happen after I left the petcock open while storing the bike. Fuel leaked into the engine and then on my first highway ride after storage the pressure caused it to leak out wherever it could. Mine was also smoking from the middle of the bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I turned the fuel off the last time I rode it. The black drain hose was near the battery which is also a wet cell. I'd like to rule out the easiest thing first. So I'm gonna check fuel hoses make sure there on tight enough. I just dont understand what would cause the bike to idle before the ride perfectly but then after even a short distance leak and idle high.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Find the vent hose on the battery, see if it's the same hose you saw leaking. If not, do the same with the coolant tank.

That's just the way carbs are, or anything mechanical, they work right up to the moment they don't.

Find out what was leaking and work from there.

These carbs don't have an overflow as normally found on most bike carbs. There's a drain, but it has to be opened before fuel will come out.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Usually, wet cell batteries will have a clear vinyl vent hose, though some will still have a black rubber hose, but smaller diameter than the coolant tank hose.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a second note.... I was charging the battery before I left. The battery I noticed was boiling. Or atleast sounded like it was. Could that be a problem?

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Both the battery vent and the coolant tank overflow will just hang under the bike with the ends open, so they'll drain.

If you were charging the battery with an automotive charger, it was likely putting out too many amps for the bike battery. This will heat the battery and cause it to boil, which would send acid out of the vent. Make sure the battery still has enough electrolyte in it.

Bike batteries need 1/2 to 1 1/2 amps, most car chargers start at 5 amps.

This bike does a lot better with an AGM type battery instead of a wet cell. Consider this when you need a new battery.

Can always sample the liquid that's leaking. Does it smell like gas or antifreeze?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It smells like oil which changes everything. I think I'm gonna get a new battery it doesn't really hold a charge well I've noticed.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
It smells like oil which changes everything. I think I'm gonna get a new battery it doesn't really hold a charge well I've noticed.
AGM type is worth the extra money, especially on this bike. Plus side is no acid leaking into the RR.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
No, should be available everywhere. Absorbed Glass Mat - AGM

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Slight problem the oil drain plug bolt is stripped pretty good. Will include pics. Any good ways to get it off? Also its dripping in the first pic from there and I saw a drip on one of the fins under the pan. Any ideas???

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Can you see your oil level through the sight glass? Maybe there’s too much in it to begin with. Mine is difficult to see. But you need to do it with the bike up straight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts