Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I havent posted here in while, mostly lurking. Learned a lot from reading here, and have finally worked up my nerve to take apart and clean the carbs.
My 99 has been running real rough thru the summer, needs full choke to run, doesnt want to start, etc. All the advice I've been getting tells me to clean the carbs and jets. So, I've never done it before, and I am chicken, so its taken me months to say, "what the hell?" I figure the worst thats gonna happen is I lose a part or have to pay someone else to put it back together. Learn by doing, right?
On my 3rd cup of coffee this morning, I removed the right side air cover, and noticed that not only did it smell like fuel, but it was wet and the foam filter cover thing was falling apart. All little wet fuel- soaked pieces.
I read something about that around here, and I will look for it, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I reeeeally dont want to take off the carb if I dont have to.....

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Have you tried draining the carbs, filling with straight Sea Foam, letting it sit for a day or so, draining Sea Foam and see how it runs with 1/2 can of Sea Foam in the gas? Doesn't always work, but might save a carb pull. Gonna need a new air filter, but you knew that. Check the other filter too, BTW.

If you wind up pulling the carbs, look on Crobins gallery for pics.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Draining the carbs... I have printed out the relevant pages of the manual, but dont know which parts to pull. Sounds easier that the whole removal thing? I assume you meanthe 'bowl'?

Also, what is causing the fuel in the air filter?

Thanks. Seriously, thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I think I located the screw to drain the carbs. I'm gonna try the total drain and seafoam thing. I will let you know how that goes.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Draining the carbs... I have printed out the relevant pages of the manual, but dont know which parts to pull. Sounds easier that the whole removal thing? I assume you meanthe 'bowl'?

Also, what is causing the fuel in the air filter?

Thanks. Seriously, thanks.
One member had serious amounts of fuel flowing (gushing might be a better description from the pics he posted) out one of his filters. Probably posted here, but I can't remember the guy's name or what was causing the problem. Sorry.

·
239 Posts
Sounds like you have a stuck float.Easiest thing to do is shut off the fuel,drain the bowl,and tap on the bowl with a screw driver a few times. Then turn the gas back on and try it.
If that doesnt work try seafoam. If that doesnt work its carb pulling time. You may need to take it apart and clean it,you may have a bad float, or a bad float piston.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts