Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a '01 750 and have been doing some minor work getting it ready. I have a fuel gauge problem that I thought I had solved by replacing a shorted wire. Today I pulled out the sensor and the entire float is missing. :) They're not sold separate from the entire sensor assembly (~$60), which seems a little steep for just a missing float.

A couple questions:
1. How are the floats attached to the stem? My stem doesn't have threads or anything else that I can see.
2. Is the original one air-filled or a solid buoyant material?
3. Would it be possibly to rig a homemade float? Could I use a small plastic bottle? Is there a sealant/adhesive out there that won't break down in gas?

Thanks,
Tilak

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The float is a solid type and seems to be mounted with some kind of adhesive. The float itself is only about an inch in diameter.
However, you may want to contact a salvage yard and see if they have a badly damaged tank that you can rob the sensor assembly out of.

·
Kawika
441 Posts
I believe JB weld has an adhesive product for fuel tank applications. I've seen it at Harbour Freight, Sears, Menards, etc.
I like niterider's idea for a float :rockon:
I was thinking about those floater key chains for boat keys, but the foam may not be able to hold up in the fuel....then there is also round bobbers for fishing...

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went out and bought a cork stopper at Lowes and some JB Weld to keep it from sliding up or down the metal stem. A mechanic told me that floats used to be made out of cork, so it should work. If not, I'll try the fishing bobber idea.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went out and bought a cork stopper at Lowes and some JB Weld to keep it from sliding up or down the metal stem. A mechanic told me that floats used to be made out of cork, so it should work. If not, I'll try the fishing bobber idea.
I have never seen a cork float for gasoline. I have worked on lots of junk. I am over 1/2 century old too. I would be afraid that it would break up and you will have another problem to add to the first one. Trash in the fuel lines and tank. Just my thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have never seen a cork float for gasoline. I have worked on lots of junk. I am over 1/2 century old too. I would be afraid that it would break up and you will have another problem to add to the first one. Trash in the fuel lines and tank. Just my thoughts on the subject.
I have to agree with niterider, cork will degrade over time most especially in gas and will cause a huge prob for you. If you have ever seen an old cork from a bottle of wine it is broken in places and that will clog things up in the tank. Try the bobber as that may be the more prudent idea.

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had already JB Welded the cork in place when I got these. I did a little research online and found that cork was common float material in old cars (just google "cork fuel float"). To keep them from breaking down or getting saturated they were covered with a good coat of shellac. I found a product called Seal All that's gas and oil resistant, stated to work on carburator floats and gas tanks, so I coated the cork well in it. Keeping my fingers crossed . . .

·
Registered
476 Posts
Good luck with it but just think about why it was used in "old cars" and not in new cars hehe. Has to be a reason it's not used anymore right? I wish you the best of luck and hopefully it will work. Fill us in as to how it works and keep us posted of any new developments. And be sure to keep an eye on it.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I might have a sensor assembly in my parts department. Email me offline and we can talk price. My email address is [email protected] or send a message through this system.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Why not just use a ping pong ball for a float? Epoxy the heck out of it and let her ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts