Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a sending unit for my 93 VN750 to get my fuel gauge working. If anyone out there has one, please send me a message. Thanks

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
It's alnost easier to open it up and repair the connection to the resistor wire which is most likely the culprit. Ive repaired mine but that was quite some time ago but someone (Hoss) might chime in with a link to the repair procedure.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
It's alnost easier to open it up and repair the connection to the resistor wire which is most likely the culprit. Ive repaired mine but that was quite some time ago but someone (Hoss) might chime in with a link to the repair procedure.
Remove & Examine the gauge, u will see the float / lever has a contact which rides up & down the "Wire-Wound resistor"...the wires are visible....(about 2x - 3x the size of thread)....u will see a break in one...reconnect wires with solder...add a piece of bare wire if needed (1/8" of wire? ?). It is not advisable to connect the two wire via a "Solder Bridge"...wire to wire connection only.
I believe copper wire will solder better than aluminum wire. You can always steal a strand of wire from your wire-harness as necessary.

hope this helps

:smiley_th

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
From what I remember the wire breaks towards the end and I think it's the one to ground ... it's been a few years. I was able to bridge with a little solder. That much I remember.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I remember a thread about repairing a fuel gauge sending unit from a long time ago, but don't have link to it.
Between your's and William's soldering suggestions, I think you have the answer covered. :smiley_th
I don't have any personal experience with it to improve upon your ideas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Old School

A fuel sending unit gauge that works every time :smiley_th
PS, i'm not sure i did this right, there should be a video attached? :doh:

·
Registered
73 Posts
OK, Ill try again

OK, i'm trying to link to a U tube i posted but can't figure it out.
search utube for "fuel gauge that works".?
What i get for trying to be smart? :doh::doh:
sorry

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
From the "Great Escape", isnt it ?...

The old faithful chopper/rat gauge.....you can only screw up if blind....THIS is old school...

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
I was thinking of offering a repair service but just lost my electrical tools (meter and iron mostly) in a house fire last month .... maybe when I get back on my feet and replace things.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yep

Thats is OLHoss, care to share your secret?
Wolfie, that the gauge i have on my rat rod jeep. and yes "The Great Escape" That movie almost got me. I was in Germany and ride a 250 NSU and after seeing the move a few ous went out and found a field and a fence, luckely not barb wire. Crashing in tall grass is almost cool and when 18 it don'nt hurt as much.
Thanks guy :beerchug:

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts