Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Fuel sending unit delete

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Spockster 
#1 ·
Hello all. So I am working on a 1988 vn750. The bike is in good shape but the fuel level sending unit is missing. And apparently finding a used one is impossible around here or on ebay. With that said, I know someone mentioned that they just deleted it by using an O ring pressed down by a metal plate mounted where the sending unit would bolt up. This is the route I am going to have to go. So does anyone have pics of how they successfully did this? Any advice would be appreciated.

#3 ·
I don't know about an O-Ring, but I'd use this:

View attachment 55960

Swap out the wing nut for an actual nut, or use thread lock. A semi-permanent, worry-free reliable solution designed specifically for this type of application.

Here's the link.
Then you still have to plug the screw holes.

I think a plate with the oring or even RTV should work. You would want to let RTV set up some before installing.

An alternative would be purging the gas fumes and mig weld a plate over the hole, with spot welds over the screw holes.

#11 ·
Squinting at the pictures of an old ebay post of a sender and it's gasket, it doesn't look like the four screws could possibly be gas-tight if they penetrate into the interior of the tank. No gasket surface between the threads and the head of the fastener, they just go straight through holes in the rubber.

#13 ·
Not sure how well it could be applied in this case, but way back I had a gas tank that got punctured. I used some of that two part epoxy putty on it. Think it was a “marine grade” whatever that means. Just kneeled the stuff until mixed and then shoved it into and over the the hole. Worked fine, no leaks ever.
I just took a wire brush and took of the paint right on the edge of the hole off, but it did seem to stick well to the areas I didn’t brush.
Would think you could use the stuff and just roll it into a square an inch wider than the opening and press it down. ⬛

#14 ·
Not sure how well it could be applied in this case, but way back I had a gas tank that got punctured. I used some of that two part epoxy putty on it. Think it was a “marine grade” whatever that means. Just kneeled the stuff until mixed and then shoved it into and over the the hole. Worked fine, no leaks ever.
I just took a wire brush and took of the paint right on the edge of the hole off, but it did seem to stick well to the areas I didn’t brush.
Would think you could use the stuff and just roll it into a square an inch wider than the opening and press it down. ⬛
That's not a bad idea. A lot simpler. What's the cure time on that stuff?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.