Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 750 that sat for 8 years has started being hard to start and will only run for a minute or two then die out like it is running out of gas,and then it want start back for a little while then does it all over.
Now I don't have much gas in it so could that be the problem or something else?
The petcock seems to be working properly now that I cleaned it good,the little hose that runs down under the seat is clean.
So what am I missing?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm sure others will chime in with a lot more info than I but a bike that has sat for 8 years will likely need more than cleaning the petcock. Did you start it semi-regularly and keep fresh gas in it? If not chances are you have some laquering in the carbs. It's actually easier than you might think to ascertain as it really will smell like laquer. Removing the carbs is tricky but a good cleaning of the entire fuel system would be well advised after 8 years. I would change all other fluids as well. I purchased a Vulcan for an incredible price precisely because the previous owner did want to be bothered with cleaning the fuel system. A little elbow grease and a few tweaks later and I have a great motorcycle. You'll get some recommendations to try Seafoam, a great product, before going through the trouble of disassembling anything. Do a search for Seafoam on the forum and you'll find several avenues to use it to solve fuel system problems. If it doesn't work though you can't beat a good old fashioned cleaning to bring your bike back to life.

If you don't have a manual there are always decent deals on eBay (unless you're mechanically gifted and don't need one).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also cleaned the tank good and put new gas in it,it was running fine,it seems to be worse since I put new plugs in it,I don't have but a gallon or two in it right now so it might need a little more

·
Registered
900 Posts
put about a cup of Seafoam in the tank with a full tank of gas.. sounds like you have dirty carbs... and check the gap on your new plugs...worse case.. pull the carbs and clean them... a bike that has sat that long will need all new fluids as well.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I am thinking your gonna need to pull those carbs and clean them... but try the seafoam first.... its sounding like you have some crud in the carbs that is sticking the floats and what not.. Seafoam will help... what was the color of the plugs when you pulled em?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
front two was clean,the back two was black,before I put the new plugs in it it ran pretty good after you got it started,it was hard to start cold,I'm gonna put more gas in it this weekend and try to clean the carbs with carb spray.

·
Registered
900 Posts
check your hoses and boots for cracks and leaks.. you can use a can of WD40 spraying around the boots while running.. if it stubbles then you know you have a leak there.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I am still leaning to dirty carbs...you can drain the bowls and spray some carb cleaner in the drain holes and you might get most of the gunk out....can also do my hillbilly seafoam trick...will need a helper for this cause its a bit tricky... take a clean soda bottle.. coke is best...LOL..but drill 2 holes a bit smaller than the 2 hoses that feed the carbs (its gonna leak but will do the trick) put pure Seafoam in the bottle .. about a cup should do it...start bike and run the bottle dry..this is where the helper come in..one to hold the bottle and one to keep it running.. its gonna smoke and fart and run crappy for a bit... this is basicaly cleaning the carbs the hillbilly way.. but will do the job...hook the hoses back up tot the tank with about a cup full of Seafoam in a full tank of gas..(cheap stuff not the higher octane) and get it started again.. see if that will clean it it up a bit.. the longer you run Seafoam the better it will get...also have a fully charged battery each time you start it...hope this helps.

·
Registered
900 Posts
also.. check you spark on each plug... pull the plugs and ground them to the engine and see if they are getting spark.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
front two was clean,the back two was black,before I put the new plugs in it it ran pretty good after you got it started,it was hard to start cold,I'm gonna put more gas in it this weekend and try to clean the carbs with carb spray.
If your back two plugs are black they are running very rich, and would cause hard starting. The air/fuel mixture has to be leaned out. If the front two plugs are light tan that's good. Usually 2 1/2 turns out on the air/fuel mixture screw will get you close to ideal. See Vulcan Verses

·
Banned
448 Posts
Mine was the same way mpeace. I had clean plugs in the front, and black plugs in the rear. The rear carb had a bowl full of crud, and I pulled the bowls, and cleaned them both, and it runs fine.
Seafoam is a good additive to help keep them clean.
As was mentioned, check all of the fuel and vent lines and replace as necessary.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok I guess my float is sticking because my rear cylinders are filling up with gas,I put some seafoam In it so hopefully it will help that,also while I had it running tonight I noticed after I cut it off my straight pipe for the rear cylinder was glowing red is that normal? Oh yeah I check the fire on all plugs and they all look to be firing good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is running better now,but I still can't figure out why the rear cylinder exhaust is getting so hot,and it also is still flooding out if it idles to long

·
Member? ... check.
534 Posts
From what I can tell, you have done the following:

1. Installed new plugs. (checked spark)
2. Sprayed your carbs with carb cleaner.
3. Used seafoam in the tank with new gas.

Have you done anything else ?

I think I would take some time and pull the carbs for a complete cleaning and inspection of the floats and needles. Seafoam is cool stuff, but it won't fix everything.

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Gotta' go with the others - you probably need to pull your carbs completely and clean them, maybe even rebuild them.

Until you've tried that, there's really no use posting more questions : we're just going to keep repeating the same.

Good luck.

AZ Kev

1 - 20 of 23 Posts