Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading and learning alot about my bike on this forum already!! My question is ....What is the best way to remove the lead caps that cover the fuel mixture screws on the carbs? :confused:
Thanks, Mike

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Many will use a small nail and gently poke a hole into it and pry it out.

This is one place you definately want to leave the hammer in the toolbox!!

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
I went with the small drill bit and carefully drilled hole and then pry the cap out. Make sure to clean out hole for small pieces of metel. Lotsof luck, be careful in setting screws to bottom out, and then back them back out.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mark the screws with paint, and only turn in 1/4 turn increments;
Also, idle mixture screws are only for idle, the mixture is on its own once you come off of idle.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The lead plugs are very soft, you don't the drill, just a fine bit and twist it with your fingers, It will go in the lead with no prob.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it possible to remove these lead caps and adjust the screws without taking the carbs off the bike?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Here is a great pict form Dianna.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The lead plugs are very soft, you don't the drill, just a fine bit and twist it with your fingers, It will go in the lead with no prob.
Alright, I'm confused... I am 99.9% positive that I drilled into the correct cap, but I was not able to do this with very much ease (definitely could not have done it with a bit and my fingers).
I am also having trouble pulling out the rest of the cap. I've tried sticking a wire in there to pull it out but had no luck..
Did make a major flaw somewhere or is there a possibility that these caps are different throughout the years? Any help would be great, I can't stand listening to my bike backfire anymore.
Thanks,
loc

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Try using a small wood screw , turn it into the hole you drilled and then grab it with some pliers and yank on it.(might have to wiggle it some)

I drilled mine with a tiny bit and used an ice pick to in the hole to pry it out. Just be carefull with the side to side pressure as the walls of the screws "tunnel" are thin aluminum.

KM

·
Registered
36 Posts
Edit: Finally got the caps off.. Was going to set the screws, but the mosquitoes were eating me alive so I'll try tomorrow.
Does anyone have an "easier" method of turning the screws with the carb still on the bike? Its a rather weird angle..

·
Registered
135 Posts
I know what you mean and that's why I haven't adjusted mine yet. I can't find a small enough screwdriver to do this with everywhere I've looked. I'm thinking I will have to chop a small one off and fix a handle of some sort on it. My screw looks like a flathead...the one I could see.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Edit: Finally got the caps off.. Was going to set the screws, but the mosquitoes were eating me alive so I'll try tomorrow.
Does anyone have an "easier" method of turning the screws with the carb still on the bike? Its a rather weird angle..
If you have one of those screwdrivers with the bit tips that are interchangable you can use one of those. Just don't put it in the handle and just use the bit itself

·
Registered
106 Posts
I fabricated an adjustment tool out of a 12d common nail. flatten the end by hitting between 2 hammers, grind or file flattened tip square across, bend into L shape make it a short L, break off excess and head. mix screw can then be turned 1/4 at a time in or out.
3z

·
Registered
881 Posts
i used a small hex bit without the handle. i painted one side of the hex white & opposite side red w/nail polish. i use my left index finger to hold the bit in position with the white side out twisting with my right hand one full turn white side out 1/2 turn red sise out

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but I'm also tired of the backfiring and have a quick question, are there two of those screws? if yes where? thanks

·
carbon unit
369 Posts
one mixture screw per carb. (You must pull the covers off holes first)
Look on the other side of your motor for the second one.

Here is a great pict form Dianna.
As a side-note ...mine did the pop ing and backfired while cranking, until I studied the info on this cool a$$ web site. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
:rockon:Thank you so much for your quick reply Kay, people like you make this forum a pleasure to visit , let hope I can figure out how to stop or slow down the popping, thanks again

·
Registered
476 Posts
:rockon:Thank you so much for your quick reply Kay, people like you make this forum a pleasure to visit , let hope I can figure out how to stop or slow down the popping, thanks again
Your more than likely gonna have to marble the reed valves in order to stop the decel pops. It's real easy to do just need a screw and two marbles. If you wish to go that route let us know and we'll walk you thru it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts