·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check this out.

ElectroJet

and here...

CNN

Pray the product doesn't cost more than our bikes are worth. Wonder if we could get two units to fit between our cylinders.

DT

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
cool, I wonder how much something like that would be. Brighton isn't that far from me, only about 45 min. If enough people were interested, we might be able to find out some info. But seeing as they want to target high volume OEM customers, I don't think it would be a reality.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
From their own site:

"Yes, this can be applied to your…motorcycle, ATV, lawn tractor, etc… However, ElectroJet’s product is not currently available to the general public. The current target market is high-volume OEM manufacturers."

:( Oh well, lets keep our eye on them. Maybe they'll sell to the public in five years or so.

-Sloppy

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
I know a guy who recently converted his carb'd ninja 250 to FI. He's still working out the kinks, but his estimate put the costs around $2k.

·
Boston Vulcan Rider
20 Posts
cool thing for a pet project i suppose, but really... i've enough power for a 750... and do I really need better than the 50mpg I'm already getting? not worth the 2k conversion I don't think. That's another bike ;)

·
Bat
161 Posts
Of course, the latest info on that site is 2008...might not even be in existence anymore. I think if we could get 50 or 100 Vulcan 750 owners to want these things, it might bring it down into the realm of 'possible'. As for requirements, it might not need 2 units, talked about 2,3 and 4 cylinders and another type for larger...might only need one. I sure would be interested in finding out more about it. Might not be affordable, but you don't know until you ask.

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
Many folks here bought their bikes for $2000. Really don't seem
Likely they'd blow that much to put FI in it.

If you want a bike with FI, buy one that comes with it. There's alot more involved than just bolting on injectors and riding off. Factory EFI on modern bikes use sensors to measure air temp, pressure, exhaust makeup, humidity, engine rpms, and bike position (yes, if you drop the bike it cuts power to the fuel pump)

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
^^X2^^ I believe it would make more sense to go with a bike that was designed with FI. Just my opinion but other than a more dependable fuel delivery system (debatable though since it would be aftermarket), I don't think anything would be gained in performance.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
From Detroit, a fix for smog-belching motorcycles
Sounds like they don't like bikes from the start LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I knew it had to happen. Some idiot is trying to install FI on a carbureted Goldwing 1500 on one of the GW forums. Been at it for months now. The twin carb setup on the 1500 has proven far more reliable than the FI on the 1800, so I don't know what his reason is.

I added up the cost of all the fuel injection specific parts on a 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic, and they came to almost $1800. $550 for the ECU alone, which is far less reliable than the stock R/R on the 750, another $320 for the electric fuel pump, which the 750 doesn't even have. If you want FI, buy one of those, but put a stack of money aside for repairs.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Last update for Electrojet on Facebook is over a year ago; Oct. 4th, '10. Doubt we'll see anything come of it. I seriously doubt the cost of retrofitting a bike like ours, that's been out of production for 5 years now, would be justified, considering the cost of the unit would probably be around a third to half the resale value of the newest low mileage excellent condition VN750 built in '06.

Jim

·
Registered
748 Posts
From Detroit, a fix for smog-belching motorcycles
Sounds like they don't like bikes from the start LOL.
<chuckle> Mythbusters did a segment comparing motorcycle and car emissions; motorcycles didn't do so good overall.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Don't get the emissions thing, especially with motorcycles. There just aren't enough of them around to make any difference. And I guarantee my Vulcan runs several times cleaner than my beloved '64 Fairlane, which I shall drive for the rest of my life.

Fuel injection is far more complex than most people seem to believe. It is specifically designed for each engine and vehicle it is used on. It uses a lot of very sophisticated and expensive electronics, and usually at least 7 sensors. Modern FI is run by software, and can be reprogrammed to run richer (the only good thing I see about it) It also uses a very expensive super high pressure electric fuel pump, and requires some place to mount the injectors (usually a throttle body on a motorcycle) Fuel injection is not a universal system that can be retrofitted to an older vehicle. It has been done on cars, by installing the entire engine, fuel injection unit, all the sensors, and the computer from a fuel injected car into an older car. While modern fuel injection has only one main computer, it has several microprocessors located throughout the system.

I did read on another forum where someone had installed fuel injection on an older Ninja 250, it cost over $2000, did not perform as well as the carbs, and this guy was an engineer.

Many people think they can just swap out their carbs for FI. It just doesn't work that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts