Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a fuel sensor that I bought on ebay. It appears to work, based on my ohmmeter. (I plan to check it on the bike today.)

The sensor must not have been in fuel for a while, because the sensor housing (and to a lesser extent the arm that holds the float) are rusted. Should I

a) put it in the tank as is and hope that any flaking will be caught by the petcock screen;
b) Try and sand it down with a dremel or whatever;
c) Try to replace the housing with the one from my current sensor;
d) Not install it at all?

Other opinions?

Thanks,
--Storm

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Well, any crud that ends up in your tank and isn't caught by the petcock filter will end up in your carbs. :( I'd try very fine steel wool first - 00 or 000 - and see if you can get that stuff off of there. Failing that, try naval jelly - just make sure you rinse the parts really, really, really well afterwards (and don't get any on the float or gaskets - the label says it's nasty stuff :confused: ). And if THAT doesn't work, then try replacing rusted parts with your clean parts. An ounce of prevention on the carbs = a pound of swearing, wailing, and much gnashing of teeth. :hitanykey

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An ounce of prevention on the carbs = a pound of swearing, wailing, and much gnashing of teeth. :hitanykey
Well put, Cindy... Thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts