Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 1990 750 almost entirely stock for about three years. All the time I have owned it, the fuel gauge has never read correctly. This takes the form of running out of gas long before the gauge approaches "E." This is a really minor problem as long as I pay attention to how much I've driven.

But the question is, is there a way to adjust/calibrate the gauge? I see nothing in the Manual that suggests there is, but perhaps someone can tell me otherwise.

Thanks for any input you may have.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
no way to adjust or calibrate that I know if.

also, if your running out just before E, have you tried switching to reserve on the petcock? there is around 1/4 to 1/2 gallon in tank when the fuel level is too low for the main pickup to get any gas. switch to reserve at that time and find a gas pump.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I've had a 1990 750 almost entirely stock for about three years. All the time I have owned it, the fuel gauge has never read correctly. This takes the form of running out of gas long before the gauge approaches "E." This is a really minor problem as long as I pay attention to how much I've driven.

But the question is, is there a way to adjust/calibrate the gauge? I see nothing in the Manual that suggests there is, but perhaps someone can tell me otherwise.

Thanks for any input you may have.
there is a way to calibrate the sending unit... IF THE SENDING UNIT IS WORKING CORRECTLY... you need to ohm out the sending unit to make sure it reads with out any flat spots through the whole sweep from empty to full. If the sending unit reads good, you just need to bend the wire up or down to get the correct readings.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
I depend on the odometer more than the fuel gauge.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Gosh, I don't think I have ever used a fuel gauge on any bike I have owned. Maybe the fancy pants Euro bikes have working gas gauges but I've never personally seen one.

Hey! Just thought of something, how about a gas tank that automagically resets your trip-o-meter when you fill it up :)

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Gosh, I don't think I have ever used a fuel gauge on any bike I have owned. Maybe the fancy pants Euro bikes have working gas gauges but I've never personally seen one.

Hey! Just thought of something, how about a gas tank that automagically resets your trip-o-meter when you fill it up :)
come down here to my place.. my gauge workS!

trip odometer.. don't get me on that subject...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've never had the luxury of a working fuel gauge on any bike I've owned. Odometer feels normal on the bike at this point.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found this thread doing a search. I was curious about my fuel gauge as well. It doesn't seem that altogether useful. The needle stays pegged until about 25 miles and I've had it all the way to smack-dab on the "E" line and hadn't hit reserve yet. Was about 122 miles at that point(48mpg). There isn't a lot really to do with a gauge that reads too high on the top end and too low on the bottom. It's more of a reference tool anyway, I guess. :smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
There isn't a lot really to do with a gauge that reads too high on the top end and too low on the bottom. It's more of a reference tool anyway, I guess. :smiley_th
Mine read fine for the first half and then seemed to drop quickly from there...I suspect older bikes the sensor or arm are off a bit... I always just filled up when it got near E....run past reserve and see if what it reads...should be past the E.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
There always is the old "skool" style of fuel gauge: clear glass tube mounted on the outside of the tank showing the actual fuel level inside. My gauge is pretty close to being accurate but it does take a long time before it hits the half way mark and then moves quickly from there. Could the shape of the tank and its mounting orientation be a cause of the uneven half tank readings on the fuel gauge? The Reserve petcock position does give you some extra miles if you mix up resetting the trip mileage. I rely on that most often.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
absolutely the tank shape has an effect.

the top half of most motorcycle tanks holds a lot more than the bottom half, due to the tunnel for the spine/frame.

yes, they can wind the resistor so that it not as linear in resistance per degree of rotation of the wiper. that can compensate for shape.

but the big thing to remember is... use the gauge to give you an indication of fuel in tank, not an absolute amount of fuel in tank.

to show just how much more fuel is in top of tank, I get 60-80 miles from full to 1/2 on the gauge. last 1/2 of tank is gone in 30 miles...

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Mine is slow to come down to 1/2 from full, drops like a rock from 1/2 to E. About 122-128 miles, hit reserve, find a gas station quick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gas gage reading

Hi, I'm new on this site.Just a query on the '86 I'm working on. I just put the battery in for the first time yesterday. I noticed about halfway through the workday that the gas gage reads whether the key is on or not. This is telling me that the gage is a constant draw on the battery. Not good for extended battery life if the bike is not used regularly. Is this normal, or do I have another problem?

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
Hi, I'm new on this site.Just a query on the '86 I'm working on. I just put the battery in for the first time yesterday. I noticed about halfway through the workday that the gas gage reads whether the key is on or not. This is telling me that the gage is a constant draw on the battery. Not good for extended battery life if the bike is not used regularly. Is this normal, or do I have another problem?
So if you disconnect the battery the gauge falls to empty?
Or does it just stay where it is?

If you're new, I suggest you post up an introduction in the Newbie Check in page before asking for help..

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Interesting about the gauge needle reading when the bike is turned off. Mine has always done that from showroom to now. Whatever the fuel level was being read when under power is the level it reads when there is no power. Yes, I've had the battery out and it still showed gas. It's been this way for 10 years so I'm not particularly interested in changing it if it's wrong. It seems to read a fairly accurate amount of fuel and my experience is the same as others: It takes a long time to move from full but once at 1/2 you'd best be looking to make a stop. It has proved itself to be a reliable indicator of fuel level but I always use the trip meter as a backup.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
yea the meter movement in the gas gauge 'remembers' the last reading when power was applied.. its not draining the battery when switch is off

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks

I did my newby post requirement.:wink2: I also found out today what you said. I pulled the battery out and the needle didn't move. There are other problems, but at least that one is solved.:smile2:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Mine is slow to come down to 1/2 from full, drops like a rock from 1/2 to E. About 122-128 miles, hit reserve, find a gas station quick.
That 120-125 miles before needing to switch onto reserve seems to be about the average reported on this board. That is about average for my scoot. I don't trust the reserve to take me more than another 20 miles.

My gauge reads about the same as most others report here.
Stays at full for about 40 miles, then starts to drop.
After the needle passes the 1/2 full mark it drops like a rock.
My engine does not give me much warning when it starts to run lean. Just stutters a bit, then quits unless I get the fuel valve lever pointed forward pretty damn quick! :surprise:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts