Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the proud new owner of a 1988. Looks great with 22K miles. Got it cheap since it doesn't run. Hope it's a minor problem. Anyway, here's the scoop. The prior owner said it ran fine until recently. The last time out it started and after several miles stalled. Upon exam, he found the carbs and cylinders flooded with gas. I saw another post ("Carbs dumping gas. help!" - Engine89) that seems to describe the problem. Looks like it was a problem with the petcock. Hopefully that's all it is. Any opinions or assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
There is probabley more than one problem.
The petcock may be leaking anf the floats may be sticking.
The floats have to be sticking, they hold the flow of gas back even with the petcock open.
I'm sure you have seen the great miracles of Seafoam talked about on hear, Easer to do than pulling the carbs.
If it doesn't work then you may have to pull the carbs anyway but it is a good start.
Check the plugs make sure they are not fouled, if it got that flooded they probabley are. Get a new batt and keep a charger on it if you are trying to start it alot.
Do not try and start for to long the starter will not last long if you hold it down to long, 10 seconds is as long as you want to try.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ive got the same problem. the petcock was leaking on the vac side so i opened it up and removed the guts and put a cover on the vac line on the carb. Im still dumping fuel into the cyls. also getting fuel out the line that slips in behind the right hand ear. Stuck floats?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
ive got the same problem. the petcock was leaking on the vac side so i opened it up and removed the guts and put a cover on the vac line on the carb. Im still dumping fuel into the cyls. also getting fuel out the line that slips in behind the right hand ear. Stuck floats?
Sounds like it. Have you given it a good dose of Seafoam yet? It cures a lot of ills - not all, but a lot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
getting the engine to run has been troublesome thus far, so I havent gotten to the sea foam just yet. Have a can on standby though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do yourself a favor and pull the carbs clean them and check the float levels. Also carefully take the petcock apart and clean it. When you are done cut an angle on the vent hose before putting back in ear. Worked great for me. Seems like more work than it is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah thats what im leaning on doing. Might as well shave the ears since im going into the carbs anyway. Simplify

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a full 1/4 inch of sticky red stuff in the bottom of the bowls. Kinda nasty. Thanks yall

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
That could cause the floats to not seal if any of it got in the valve seat or even stick so they couldn't seal. Either way, with that much gunk, Seafoam probably wouldn't have been able to deal with it.
If you do the shave, I believe you will need to rejet the carbs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
hey yall, i cleaned everything up and ordered new pilots and mains, 40 pilots with a 140 main up front and 142 for rear. However when I got the jets in the mail today they sent me two 140s. What do you think, put em in or send a 140 back and get a 142?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts