Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to get some expert(or semi-expert) advice:

I recently bought an '86 vn750 with 14k original miles on it. It needs a little work since it's been sitting in a garage for several years, but I'm not sure what this particular problem could be.

The front head is not "engaging" properly. The fuel won't ignite without revving the bike to around 3500 RPM's, sometimes 4000 RPM's. And when it does ignite, the exhaust gases that come from the muffler etc are cool, instead of slightly warm.

There's also a mild backfire while decelerating.

Anyone have any suggestions on what the problems could be?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Just trying to get some expert(or semi-expert) advice:

I recently bought an '86 vn750 with 14k original miles on it. It needs a little work since it's been sitting in a garage for several years, but I'm not sure what this particular problem could be.

The front head is not "engaging" properly. The fuel won't ignite without revving the bike to around 3500 RPM's, sometimes 4000 RPM's. And when it does ignite, the exhaust gases that come from the muffler etc are cool, instead of slightly warm.

There's also a mild backfire while decelerating.

Anyone have any suggestions on what the problems could be?
Weak spark ? ?
Perform "Coil Mod" ...in verses.
:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Since its been sitting, drain the tank and run SeFoam or equivalent....also, since its just the front.....drain the left side carb....do a backblow on it....(see the Carbs section for the sticky on the proceedure)....also, replace your plugs and check the plug wire condition....its either getting too much gas (sticking float, my guess), or has an insufficient spark to the front...often, overfilling the crankcase will cause the front not to fire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, battery and checked the voltage(while running, of course) on the coil. Spark-wise, the bike is fine. I'll do a blow back and run some Sea Foam through it and see if it helps. Thanks a lot for the info, guys. I'll update the thread if that was the issue or not and give more info if needed. Again, thanks a lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts