Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*I thought I would post this here even though it is not a Vulcan because it could be helpful to folks with similar issues*

My friend has a mid 70s Yamaha 750 Special that he is trying to get back up to speed. He wants to get it in his garage but it won't budge. We came over and bled the brakes thinking that may be an issue, but upon looking closer- the front right caliper (it is the exact same set up as our bikes) looks like it may have frozen pins (one pad is worn and the other isn't).

It only has 1 bolt to take off the caliper, but it seems like the pads are frozen to the rotor. Any recommendations for getting this thing off? We beat it with a rubber mallet and opened the bleed valve to see if taking pressure off would make it move, but nothing.

Would PB blaster work on it since the pads (and prob rotor) will be junked anyhow?

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Drench the sucker in penatratimg oil overnight (try to keep it off the tires) and whack it some more the next day.

Your going to need to take the caliper apart and clean it anyway... So if the above fails take the caliper apart and repeat the process if the puck is still is stuck.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
What KM said. If the rotor is not severely damaged, it can be cleaned and reused. New or used rotors might be difficult to find for that bike (it's a triple, right?) Just take it slow and easy and try not to break anything. Pads are still available, but even parts to rebuild the calipers and master cylinder might be hard to find. Japanese planned obsolescence again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts