Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a 110/90-19 front tire for my 1995 VN750.
I know it's a bit bigger than stock size. I also know that it would fit a 3.5 in front wheel.
Can anyone tell me the front wheel stock size for this bike? Will it work? Any recommendations?

Thanks a million.

Hernandes

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Stock is 100/90-19, search the site, should be lots of discussion on the 110 size.

Jon

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I have a 110 on the front of my 01, Fit just fine and I like the handiling of the bigger ft tire. On a side note the spedo is more acurate

·
Registered
30 Posts
I, too, switched to the 110 size for the front tire with my last "retread", and second Ccspinner's assertion that the speedometer and odometers read more accurately with the larger diameter. It may not be exactly "spot on", but now when my speedometer is registering 60 MPH, or any other speed for that matter, I know that I'm actually traveling at pretty close to whatever speed is indicated. Makes it nice to not have to do all the "calculating on the go" to compensate for the inaccuracy of the smaller stock tire/speedometer combo. As for brand of tire, that can be your choice----I don't think anyone actually makes a bad tire---not purposely anyway.

·
Geek
872 Posts
Bridgestone
Front 100/90-19M/C 57H
rear 150/90-15M/C 74H

This is on my '05

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
110 is going on when i change tires. it makes the spedo more accurate, but throws the odo off...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hizzo could you please explain that...I must be dense (haven't touch the captain morgan YET)
if it makes the speedo more accurate, wouldn't the odometer also be more accurate as well. I'm confused

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
TrashLord said:
Hizzo could you please explain that...I must be dense (haven't touch the captain morgan YET)
if it makes the speedo more accurate, wouldn't the odometer also be more accurate as well. I'm confused
I think that the speedo portion is geared differently than the odometer part. So correcting the speedo changes the odometer.

I prefer to have the odometer correct for maintenance reasons and gas mileage calculations. I just mentally correct for the speedo. Usually just ride with traffic and that works out. Meant to check speedo versus my phone's gps, but am afraid of dropping the phone!

Jon

·
Registered
699 Posts
oh great so that means I might even have more miles on my bike lol or would it be less. I don't have a gps but I do have a neon and the wife said we were doing 30 and so did the bike

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I've gps'd my bike (10% over reality), my Ford Ranger (5% over reality) and my wife's Kia (5% over) so I'm thinking it's normal for them to read high. Of course, they are all asian vehicles...

I gps'd my trip back from a hunting trip, reset the trip on the gps and reset my trip meter on the ford. Ford read 137 miles and the gps read 136. I'd say that's pretty close. (maybe less than 1%) Interesting that the speedo is 5% off but the odo isn't... Seems to be the trend.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
93VN750 said:
Meant to check speedo versus my phone's gps, but am afraid of dropping the phone!
Two simple words....

DUCT TAPE !!! :D LOL

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Yes, duct tape. It's sticky, it's temporary, it's easy to use, it's not just for ducts. Actually, I don't think it ever was for ducts. You ever try to use it on a duct? - it comes off by itself! Come to think of it, what is duct tape for?

·
Geek
872 Posts
I thought it was duck tape ?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
cegodsey said:
Yes, duct tape. It's sticky, it's temporary, it's easy to use, it's not just for ducts. Actually, I don't think it ever was for ducts. You ever try to use it on a duct? - it comes off by itself! Come to think of it, what is duct tape for?
Funny you should say that. Last year, I had to patch up my air handler in the attic after opening it to flush the drian line. Said to myself, this is probably the first time I have ever used duct tape on a duct!

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
rnewell said:
I thought it was duck tape ?
I think there is a brand of tape named "DUCK" tape, but clever none the less.

Jon

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Speaking of duct (duck, GOOSE) tape, ya ever heard the saying.....

Silence is golden, duct tape is silver. LOL

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Yes Virginia.. or in this case Ernie.. Duct tape can be used on Duct Joints..
Duct tape
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

A piece of transparent duct tape, left, and of silver duct tape, right.
A roll of transparent duct tape.Duct tape is a strong, fabric-based, multi-purpose adhesive tape, usually silver or black in color, although many other colors, as well as transparent, have recently become available. Duct tape is usually 1.88 inches (48 mm) wide. It was originally developed during World War II in 1942 as a waterproof sealing tape for ammunition cases.[1][2] Permacel, then a division of Johnson & Johnson, used a rubber-based adhesive to help the tape resist water and a fabric backing to facilitate ripping. Because of these properties, it was also used to quickly repair military equipment, including jeeps, guns, and aircraft. Duct tape is also called "100 mph tape" in the military, citing the urban legend that duct tape will maintain its adhesion when subjected to winds traveling at up to 100 miles per hour.

After the war, the housing industry boomed and people started using duct tape for many other purposes. The name "duct tape" came from its use on heating and air conditioning ducts, a purpose for which it, ironically, has been deemed ineffective by the state of California and by building codes in most other places in the U.S. (which means professionals are forbidden to use it in systems they install, but do-it-yourselfers are not). However, metallized and aluminium tapes used by professionals are still often called "duct tapes."

Now.. as far as Duct Tape vs Duck tape.. Read on! *L*
http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Yes, silver duct tape is ineffective on ducts. It should be called temp tape, as it is a temporary solution.

Thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
In Wisconsin we call it "Minnesota Chrome"--a lot of older vehicles with Minnesota plates in Wisconsin are covered with it. People in Minnesota are crafty--they use it to hold the tailights on, body mouldings, window trim, the plastic over the missing window(s)-- just about everything!
I aplogize now to any one from Minnesota--I couldn't help myself!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts