Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
When installing my front wheel, before installing the calipers I found that if I spun the wheel by hand there is certainly drag on it. It does not free spin. Is that normal? I went for a ride and it ran fine but I was expecting the wheel would spin free.

-Robert

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Try lightly tapping the round spot on the caliber with a hammer.they might be sticking a little

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
When installing my front wheel, before installing the calipers I found that if I spun the wheel by hand there is certainly drag on it. It does not free spin. Is that normal? I went for a ride and it ran fine but I was expecting the wheel would spin free.

-Robert
When I balanced my new tires I had them sitting on a stand where they could spin freely on rollerskate bearings. Well, the bearings didn't move at all, it was all the wheel bearings and I literally went inside for a drink of water, called my girlfriend to show her how long the wheel was spinning and then waiting some more for it to settle down to where I could see where it needed weights. Was 3-5 minutes with a casual spin.

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
speedo drive is not lined up right.. if you back off the nut on the left side of the axle, you will see that it frees up. at least mine did.

Now, do NOT ride it like that.. get the speedo drive to align properly and torque everything to specs. there are 2 tangs (for lack of better word) that need to fit into 2 recess's in the front wheel. pita to get right, but when done, you can torque to spec and still have free spinning wheel

also, make sure any spacers are installed in correct position

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
speedo drive is not lined up right.. if you back off the nut on the left side of the axle, you will see that it frees up. at least mine did.

Now, do NOT ride it like that.. get the speedo drive to align properly and torque everything to specs. there are 2 tangs (for lack of better word) that need to fit into 2 recess's in the front wheel. pita to get right, but when done, you can torque to spec and still have free spinning wheel

also, make sure any spacers are installed in correct position
When the axle bolt of off, should there be some rotational play on the speedo? I found that it probably had 10-20 degrees of play. After tightening the bolt there was no more play.

-Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts