Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the typical lifespan of the bearings? How do you know if they're bad?

I swapped wheels from my old bike (27k) to take advantage of its newer tire.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I'm riding, I can feel a vibration in the handlebars that goes away when I'm riding straight, but comes back whenever I turn. It reminds me of a bad bearing in a car wheel. Am I imagining things? Could it be from the pads not yet worn into the different rotors?

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Shouldn't be the brakes unless you only feel it when applying the brakes, or maybe if the brakes were sticking.

Any irregular spots on the tire tread? I guess it didn't do this on the other bike?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shouldn't be the brakes unless you only feel it when applying the brakes, or maybe if the brakes were sticking.

Any irregular spots on the tire tread? I guess it didn't do this on the other bike?
I don't recall it doing that on my other bike, but I can't say for sure that it didn't. I know it didn't do that on the new wheel/old tire combo that came with the bike. Only when I switched to the old wheel/new tire combo from my old bike. The tread looks even. It's not enough of a lean angle to be the result of using a different area of the tire. When I'm talking "turns", I should clarify that I'm talking about gently shifting lane positions rather than a true "turn". It's a subtle vibration too, but I'm being very sensitive as I have a trip coming up in 3 weeks. I want to make sure everything is A OK before rolling out.

I suggested the brakes, as I've had a car with a warped rotor that you would feel whenever applying the brakes, or during hard cornering. I guess in that car, there was enough flex in the assembly that the pad would drag slightly in a corner? I'm not sure what caused it in that car.

My cousin has a Triumph with rubber bushing mounted handle bars to reduce vibration. (Incidentally, the handle bars shake from the wind and the rear view mirrors are useless at highway speeds!) I was just thinking that the vibration I am feeling would be completely eliminated by this mounting system and I would be none-the-wiser. :| Not sure how I feel about that.

Thanks Knifemaker, I'll try that out.

Is there any way to tag someone in a post to get their input? I'd love to hear from some of the seriously high milage club. I know Jerry had over 100k on his bike when it finally quit. If bearings fail, they'd know how often! 27K seems low to be having issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts