Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question... what is the widest and tallest tire i can get away with front and rear. not worried about the speed being off.

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
(Front.....110/90/19) Rear 180/70/15 is the widest......170/80/15 is the tallest ......but I don't know if all brands of 180/70/15's will fit.....I know the Pirelli Route and the Shinko Tourmaster will. I have Shinko Tourmasters on right now.....They WILL handle everything you throw at them. To me.....The Shinko's are the BEST budget tire made. Pirelli Night Dragons are also a fantastic tire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
(Front.....110/90/19) Rear 180/70/15 is the widest......170/80/15 is the tallest ......but I don't know if all brands of 180/70/15's will fit.....I know the Pirelli Route and the Shinko Tourmaster will. I have Shinko Tourmasters on right now.....They WILL handle everything you throw at them. To me.....The Shinko's are the BEST budget tire made. Pirelli Night Dragons are also a fantastic tire.
Jumping in on this - what is the stock front wheel size?

Does a larger front wheel just make handling more difficult? I love the look of a large front wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Stock is 100/90/19. Going to a 110/90/19 makes the speedo more accurate. I couldn't tell any difference in handling, but the OEM tiires weren't on the bike very long. Doubt you would notice much difference in size just by looking at it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Going from the 100 to the 110 wasn't a huge difference. It may just be me, but it does seem to handle grooved pavement a little better.

And a +1 on the Shinkos. Working on my second set of them now.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,689 Posts
Going from the 100 to the 110 wasn't a huge difference. It may just be me, but it does seem to handle grooved pavement a little better.

And a +1 on the Shinkos. Working on my second set of them now.
nope! it's not just you, they DO handle grooved pavement better. much better!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Metzler makes a 120-80-19 that will fit our bikes. It is a factory size for the V-rod. Metzler 180-80-15 will fit on the rear as well and a 175-65-15 car tire will too. I agree that wider tires make handling MUCH better, especially with cracks, tar snakes, and grooved pavement.

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
Baldy.....about the 175/65/15 car tire on the rear. did you have this on your bike? How tight was the fit? Was it a nightmare to get to bead up? Do you think there would be fender clearence issues on mine if the back of my bike has been lowered 2".....and then issues when I ride 2 up?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have a 165-80-15 on my 01' now and there is clearance for the 175-65-15 sidewall that is going on my 93'. It is a lower profile tire so I don't believe that a lowered bike would have any issues either. Yes sometime getting a CT to bead up is a bitch but well worth it. As far as performance....I was in NY for a week and a half and the guys that rode with me that thought I was nuts putting a CT on a bike are true believers now. They said that they watched me taking corners and how it was handling the cracks and uneven roads while their bikes were twitching mine was staying straight.

Now I just need to figure out what size CT will go on the Yamaha Warrior 1700 that I am thinking of buying. That comes factory with a 200 MT. haha

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Baldy.....about the 175/65/15 car tire on the rear. did you have this on your bike? Was it a nightmare to get to bead up?
Took me a looooooong time and many efforts to get my car tire to bead up. Polished the rim, used all kinds of bead lubricants and colorful words, and it still wouldn't go. Finally said the heck with it and put air in it untill it seated. Think I maxed out the air compressor, which was set at about 100 psi. YMMV

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yeah my Kumho tire took 120psi to bead. That was nerve racking to say the least. haha My only concerns was the rim cracking or the sidewall blowing out. Luckily I was using my cousins tire machine to hold it in case of a blow out. :smiley_th

1 - 11 of 11 Posts