Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With an '86, I have front air valves along with the rears. I see a 0-20 PSI gauge at J.C Whitney. Of course, the shipping is more than the gauge. Does anyone know of any Brick and mortars that might carry low pressure gauges? Thanks.

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Registered
802 Posts
For now, I'm just using the old fashioned pen type that they seem to give away with every car or truck I've bought.

Have a really nice digital guage but there's not enough room to get it on the valve stem properly.

Now I see why some of the others have switched to 90º valves stems.

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
I got a perfect round gage at a Fleet Farm place. I can look up the brand and model number and post it later. Holds the reading until a button is released too. I replaced my air compressor angled head, that was near impossible to fill the back tire without bending over the stem, with the good old fashioned kind of simple chuck. They both work perfectly. Of course you never know what you're gonna find out on the road, so I am still debating getting angled stems.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Hey guys, I think the original post was about an air pressure gauge for the shocks, not the tires. Aren't they different?

·
Premium Member
405 Posts

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
Hey guys, I think the original post was about an air pressure gauge for the shocks, not the tires. Aren't they different?
Dooohhh!!! I went back and read the original post and see the inference that values on the front aren't universal... thus implying shocks. Hey, it's Friday, and I am in a rush to get out on the road. :doh::)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Dooohhh!!! I went back and read the original post and see the inference that values on the front aren't universal... thus implying shocks. Hey, it's Friday, and I am in a rush to get out on the road. :doh::)
Yeah, that's what happened with me. ;)

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I'll check around more. The front shocks are rated 7.5 PSI max. Hard to get an accurate reading.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Try a local bicycle shop, if mountian bikes are popular in your area they should have it. Also search ebay for a low pressure shuck pump. I bought mine there for less than 15 with shipping but I had to keep checking for 2 weeks before they were that cheap

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I have a bicycle fork pump with the gauge built in that works great. I'll have to check the model/manufacturer when I get home. Here's a link to one that looks pretty good. http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23396&subcategory_ID=5423
I also use a bicycle fork pump almost like the one Chris uses...
I think it is the berries for the forks, shocks, and even if you want to get an exact on the tires, they don't loose air as you disconnect them like most pumps and gauges do either...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
I got hand pump with builtin guage, that's accurate nonetheless, for less then $10 at Harbor Freight, works great!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Glenn M and cliffhusn, both of those pumps are great for your tires, but to pressurize the shocks you need a zero loss pump and guage because the total volume is so low. Just checking the shock with a regular tire guage will release all the air pressure.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Glenn M and cliffhusn, both of those pumps are great for your tires, but to pressurize the shocks you need a zero loss pump and guage because the total volume is so low. Just checking the shock with a regular tire guage will release all the air pressure.
OlHoss
As long as it doesn't have a screw-on fitting and has a lever release end, it will work. I myself use my shop air and just touch it and use a Morroso tire gauge to bring them to spec.

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
I've found the same to be true, the quick release lever has zero air loss. I've checked the shocks after filling them with a low pressure guage and they were right on the money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Low Pressure Tire Guage

If you are looking for a low pressure tire guage try checking out the ATV shops. They have good quality guages as the ATV tires run about 7 PSI.

Good L:smiley_thuck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Low Pressure Tire Guage

If you are looking for a low pressure tire guage try checking out the ATV shops. They have good quality guages as the ATV tires run about 7 PSI.

Good Luck! :smiley_th

1 - 20 of 20 Posts