Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I’m turning to the pros cause I can’t figure this out. The bikes an 87 and the issue is that when the bikes idling it’s only firing on the rear cylinder, then when I give it throttle the front will kick in. The bike sat for years before I got it and only has 1200 miles on it. I have done ear shave with new pilots and main jets as well as cleaned the rest of the carbs, switched the coils and the problem didn’t change, and new plugs, I think it’s flooding because it spits lots of fuel out of the exhaust. I recently pulled the carbs again to check the floats and they looked brand new and seemed to operate as they should. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am actually in the same boat except, im certain the float is stuck on my front carb. I thought it was the petcock at first and, might have been half of it.
I need to pull mine, I started to but, gave up after trailering it to a friends house and getting his bug running
I would look into the float and needle, esp if its got un burned fuel coming out of the exhaust

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am actually in the same boat except, im certain the float is stuck on my front carb. I thought it was the petcock at first and, might have been half of it.
I need to pull mine, I started to but, gave up after trailering it to a friends house and getting his bug running
I would look into the float and needle, esp if its got un burned fuel coming out of the exhaust
Thanks I was pretty sure it was my float too until I pulled it apart a couple days ago.

·
Member? ... check.
547 Posts
I'm not a pro, but I did have this issue before too. I ended up confirming the synchronization of the carbs, and reducing the turns on the pilot screws. It sounds like you have all the needs for combustion. Seems like air/fuel ratio to me (too rich).
Edit: P.S., 1200mi. on an 87 is amazing.

·
2,528 Posts
You probably need to pull the carbs and clean the jet. Sounds like the idle jet is clogged. You can try to run a strong dose of seafoam through it but in most cases a carb pull is in order.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You probably need to pull the carbs and clean the jet. Sounds like the idle jet is clogged. You can try to run a strong dose of seafoam through it but in most cases a carb pull is in order.
Thanks but I replaced all the jets with new when I cleaned the carbs

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
New jets can clog also.

It does read like a dirty pilot jet. But with the possible rich condition I would also make sure the slide isn't sticking open.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts