Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to narrow it down. Hard to start, but does after a bit. After running, the front is cool to the touch. Took the plugs out, and tried..lots of mist coming out. Tried testing for spark..got one.. I have done an ear shave, but have yet to rejet. I know this could be a number of things, so can I get a list of possibilities?

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Check the vacuum line for the front carb and see if it gets wet with gas.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Petcock can leak through the vac line and cause flooding, fill the cylinder and eventually the crankcase with gas.

Could easily be lack of fuel on the cyl. though. Maybe check a spark plug for color.

But, you only got one spark when you checked? That's ignition, check for voltage at the front coil.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Same isssue here. front hot, back cold. Are the plugs in the hot cyl carbon coated black and the cold cyl wet with gas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am having the same issue or possibly similar issue. Seems that the pipe coming off the front cylinder is not getting hot but the other pipe is. Checked the spark from the wires against the cylinder and all plugs seem to be getting spark that is blue in color. At first I thought it was a problem with the float and seeing as how I couldn't figure anything else out, I tore the carbs out and looked into it. Everything looked really clean in the front carb including the needle looking great. Looking for help to try to figure out what the problem could be. Symptoms are as follows:

Sluggish at idle and rough moving from a stop. Front plugs are gas soaked and I seem to have gas in my crank case. Either popping or backfiring on startup (unsure of proper term) and smells of gas. There is white smoke but I believe that is from the sea foam I put in. Also seems to be fine when operating at a higher rpm.

Last week when I first noticed an issue the bike was dumping gas and reving up all on its own. This was after taking it out for about an hour. Every startup after that didn't seem to have the same issue.

I apologize for being a little sloppy with my explanation. This entire process has been a headache and it is my first mechanical service on any motorcycle. Please help as I am in much need of advice.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
I am having the same issue or possibly similar issue. Seems that the pipe coming off the front cylinder is not getting hot but the other pipe is. Checked the spark from the wires against the cylinder and all plugs seem to be getting spark that is blue in color. At first I thought it was a problem with the float and seeing as how I couldn't figure anything else out, I tore the carbs out and looked into it. Everything looked really clean in the front carb including the needle looking great. Looking for help to try to figure out what the problem could be. Symptoms are as follows:

Sluggish at idle and rough moving from a stop. Front plugs are gas soaked and I seem to have gas in my crank case. Either popping or backfiring on startup (unsure of proper term) and smells of gas. There is white smoke but I believe that is from the sea foam I put in. Also seems to be fine when operating at a higher rpm.

Last week when I first noticed an issue the bike was dumping gas and reving up all on its own. This was after taking it out for about an hour. Every startup after that didn't seem to have the same issue.

I apologize for being a little sloppy with my explanation. This entire process has been a headache and it is my first mechanical service on any motorcycle. Please help as I am in much need of advice.
pretty much identical issue. bogs, sluggish, but moves once you get the rpm's up. Carbs are still suspect for me. Pilot jet partial blockage is my suspicion. You have to blow it out with compressed air no matter how good it looks. I suggest what I'll be doing this week which is hooking fuel line to the drain, draining the carb, and unhooking carb inlets. Then hook the compressor to the fuel drain, open it wide open and blowlack through the carb backwards.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
hook the compressor to the fuel drain, open it wide open and blowlack through the carb backwards.
I wouldn't recommend that myself, but I can't stop anyone from doing it. :) I'm not even a fan of any blowback, unless I'm stuck somewhere with no tools.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
In combination with carb cleaner or seafoam, the right pressure makes it a perfect choice to unstick containments in the jets without tearing the bike apart.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Where does dirt settle, in the bottom of the bowl? Where is the bowl drain? What happens when you blow air into a pile of dirt? So you churn up all this dirt into a bowl full of gas and put the dirt into suspension, ready to push into all the passages/jets.

Don't get me wrong, I used the blowback 40 years ago to get bikes out of the woods. Then those bikes went home for a good carb cleaning. Blowback can dislodge dirt from float valves and jets, but it also readies more dirt for transfer into worse places, rather than resting at the bottom of the bowl.

Too much air might cause damage, rupture a diaphragm.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Nobody likes a ruptured diaphragm;)

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
When you say compressed air to clean out the jets, is there enough compression in a can of gumout to do what you are saying. Because I only soaked them in seafoam for about 15 minutes and then shot carb cleaner through them. Might I still have a partial blockage?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts