Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a problem to wich I have no answer. When I park my vn750 overnight the front cilinder fills up with fuel to the extend where the starter can't turn the engine over anymore. The only sollution is to take the sparkplugs out and Let it turn over that way, allowing the fuel to escape through the sparkplug holes. Any ideas what could cause this?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Be very careful, you can bend a con rod, it can't compress the fuel. Turn your fuel off overnight, the float. Valve in the front carb is not closing and you are either running with the fuel tap on prime or the vacuum tap is lying open all the time and with a stuck float valve it will fill the cylinder!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
the front float is sticking,or dirty float needle, or out of adjustment float bowl.here's a quick way,if it's not too dirty,to clean up the needle, thank the late Wolfie,RIP brother http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25458

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
In addition, check to see if the vacuum line to the petcock is wet with gas, it should be dry.

The petcock diaphragm wears out and leaks gas through the vacuum line, into the carb throat, which is angled to the front cylinder, so the gas just runs in.

You're going to need an oil change, because your oil has gas in it. Might even be overfull, I would bet on it. You may have noticed your shifter being a little sticky once it gets hot?

Had to rebuild the petcock on mine last Fall, with all the above.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
In addition, check to see if the vacuum line to the petcock is wet with gas, it should be dry.

The petcock diaphragm wears out and leaks gas through the vacuum line, into the carb throat, which is angled to the front cylinder, so the gas just runs in.

You're going to need an oil change, because your oil has gas in it. Might even be overfull, I would bet on it. You may have noticed your shifter being a little sticky once it gets hot?

forgot about the diaphragm

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts

Just done mine today as part of the bikes overhaul, everything was worn out.... the previous owner must of been in there too as the little diaphragm spring was missing too :doh: of course that spring doesn't come in the petcock rebuild kit, thankfully it's only £1.58 from Kawasaki though :smiley_th

Little wonder the petrol/gas just constantly flowed on my bike regardless of petcock lever was positioned

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Just done mine today as part of the bikes overhaul, everything was worn out.... the previous owner must of been in there too as the little diaphragm spring was missing too :doh: of course that spring doesn't come in the petcock rebuild kit, thankfully it's only £1.58 from Kawasaki though :smiley_th

Little wonder the petrol/gas just constantly flowed on my bike regardless of petcock lever was positioned
Mine looked like a worn out pair of jeans, faded and see through in one spot. All that repeated flexing I suppose.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
Mine looked like a worn out pair of jeans, faded and see through in one spot. All that repeated flexing I suppose.
my jeans always do that in the front and I don't know why

Reactions: Gaz73

·
Registered
292 Posts
Another cheap "peace of mind" solution is picking up manual fuel petcock of ebay for like $10 for our bike. No vacuum operation, or worry about 'is my carb float holding it back'. You usually just have to plumb in a T connection for the two carbs. Turn it off when the bike isn't running.

Can be cheaper and easier than fixing the oem vacuum operated petcock in some cases.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
that's why my pants are thin,I think. a manual feel pet cock. and yes,I have lots of peace of mind

1 - 12 of 12 Posts