Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at an 86 750 vulcan that the owner says the front brakes lock up . As strange as it seems He says it happens in the morning time. never after the weather warms up. I am new to this forum and have never owned a motorocycle I hope you can help.
thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Considering the age of the bike, my only thoughts here are that the front caliphers need to be cleaned and the pads replaced.

Brakes should not lock up unless you are pulling the lever in, a dirty/rusted calipher can keep a pad from "returning" after you do.

If you do not know anything about bikes here, have a professional examine the brakes for you.

KM

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Could also be the brake lines need replaced and/or the master cylinder needs cleaned.
On the good side with this issue, it gives you some good bargaining power to get the price reduced if you are willing to do or have some one do the work to correct it.

One thing to be sure to ask the present owner is, if he knows when, or if, the splines have been lubed and how the charging system is working.

·
Registered
135 Posts
mine locked up on me a few years back,turned out to be a corroaded plunger off the master cylinder.I would not ride it untill you've resolved the problam as it may lock up while you are riding.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I would purge the brake system and refill with fresh brake fluid for starters. From there you can see if the brakes still lock up. Does only one side lock up or do both? If it's only one side, it's probably a caliper like KM said. If it's both, chances are it's the master cylinder like James said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts