Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having issues with the brakes on my bike. I flushed the brake fluid and bled the brakes. I am able to then ride it around for a couple of minutes before the front brakes begin to seize up. I blead the brakes again and this fixes it. Even without moving the bike or using the brakes, it will still slowly seize up. I need some advice...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Is it both calipers? left? right? maybe you have collapsed brake lines?

·
Registered
399 Posts
remove the calipers, open the cap, push the piston all the way in, it shouldnt be that difficult, if its really hard, might be a collapsed hose. If you take the hose off the caliper, and then push it in, if its hard then u have a stuck piston.

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
There was a thread about this not to long ago. Your master cylinder might have a blocked air bleed hole. This is a real tiny hole that let's expanding fluid (or air bubbles) back into the master cylinder resivour. It's on the little piston thats activated by the lever.

·
Registered
399 Posts
There was a thread about this not to long ago. Your master cylinder might have a blocked air bleed hole. This is a real tiny hole that let's expanding fluid (or air bubbles) back into the master cylinder resivour. It's on the little piston thats activated by the lever.
Yes, i forgot to mention that. the Master cyl. on my 1981 kz550 had that issue. What is the condition of your fluid? was it water contaminated?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The system was left open(bleeder screw loosened) for a number of years; exposed to the humidity of a basement.

I have to admit I didn't give the master cylinder a good once-over so I will be looking at that when I get home today. That tiny hole seems like a very reasonable thing to check. Thank you.

I am not sure if it is one side or the other, once I blead one side, pressure is released uniformly throughout the system.

Thanks all for the ridiculous quick responses, I shall return to the thread later to tell of my success/defeat.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes bleeding does the whole system, but if you have a sticky piston it wont fix that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Also,make sure you do not fill your reservouir "full",,it needs space for the fluid to return into it. By filling it to the rim you leave it no choice but to keep pressure on the pads !!.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts