Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would some reasons be for my front breaks locking up. Dumped the bike today because of it.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I dumped my 750 on a hot day also....Apparantly I had air in my lines which expanded in the heat of the day, almost overheated the calipers... for whatever reason, my brake bleed was unsucessful.... apparantly an air bubble was lodged somewhere... I performed the "Drip" bleed overnite to resolve the problem... good luck.

·
2,521 Posts
Damage? Hope you're OK, keep us posted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could feel them starting to lock so I was just getting ready to stop. I hit some stones with the front wheel and it just went down. I jump off it as it did and landed on my feet. The bikes ok outside of a nice scratch in the saddlebag and a dig mark in the new mirror.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would flush and bleed the system first. Made a ton of difference on my bike, the old fluid looked like Diet Pepsi. With the twin disks up front she does want to lock up easy for me on a slick surface, dumped mine one day after jumping a curb in to my yard and onto the grass at walking speed. Wasn't using the back brake at the time and was just lightly on the front, made no difference, once I unloaded the pressure off the front... lockup and skid the front tire. Note to myself... Use back brake more.....

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Bleeding fixed my grabbing. Using a vacuum bleeder is easy and quick to suck clean fluid through the lines.

You can make a vacuum bleeder using a large cooking injector syringe. Take off the needle and attach a 6"-8" long tube to the syringe and the brake bleeding nipple. Open the nipple and pull out on the syringe plunger - it will suck out the bad fluid - when the syringe is about 1/2 full, lock the nipple, pull off the tube and empty the syringe with the dirty fluid. Repeat as needed to suck out the bad. Don't forget keep the reservoir topped off with clean fluid.

DT

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The problem I had on a similar system, different make bike, was that the caliper piston was hanging up in the cylinder. The more I rode the hotter the calipers got the harder the brakes held. I cleaned both calipers that fixed the problem. Use soapy water or brake fluid for cleaning solvent. Don't use petroleum products for cleaning the piston and cylinder.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The problem I had on a similar system, different make bike, was that the caliper piston was hanging up in the cylinder. The more I rode the hotter the calipers got the harder the brakes held. I cleaned both calipers that fixed the problem. Use soapy water or brake fluid for cleaning solvent. Don't use petroleum products for cleaning the piston and cylinder.
I just did my master cylinder on my GL500 last night - same problem - sticky plunger. The metal is in poor shape after 31 years of brake fluid so I used 'Brake Parts Cleaner Wash' in a spray can. Worked great with an air gun to blow the crap out. The instructions did say coat the parts with brake fluid after cleaning. Master cylinder works smooth and pumps again. Time to ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had similar problem. I went to leave work and my brakes were locked. I bled them off and headed home. My next move was to check this site for suggestions. Will be doing a fluid change. Thanks again for a place to gather info without having to visit the dealership.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same issue. Bleeding and replacing fluid several times didn't fix. I ended up buying a rebuild kit for the calipers and everything has been fine since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts