Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a word to the wise. Get the vacuum bleeder kit !!!
I tried for over 3 hours to get the front brakes bled and could not get any pressure no matter how much I tried.
Pepboys kit for 30 bucks and did the job in 20 minutes.
Brakes are perfect now.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
You can also bleed then as best you can manually, then pull the brake lever as tight as possible and tie it that way and leave it over night. Works like a charm.

Jon

Reactions: FlaRider

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
Get yourself a set of Speed Bleeders and you'll be done in 10! I swear by these things, you do the job yourself in no time. They are about 14 bucks a set on ebay or from the company.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
just a word to the wise. Get the vacuum bleeder kit !!!
I tried for over 3 hours to get the front brakes bled and could not get any pressure no matter how much I tried.
Pepboys kit for 30 bucks and did the job in 20 minutes.
Brakes are perfect now.
You can also bleed then as best you can manually, then pull the brake lever as tight as possible and tie it that way and leave it over night. Works like a charm.

Jon
Jon - I'd be willing to bet that dopey137 emptied the MC and lines completely, so priming is a hige PITA.

Dope137 - you've got zero quit in ya! I gave up after about 20 minutes and bought the vacuum bleeder from HF.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
these are all great ideas - and I searched here to figure out why
but I could not get any pressure at all. I have done brake jobs before and this stumped me.
I am not a professional mechanic - read that - working under the tree in the back yard.
So I started from scratch. Checked for pressure at the master cylinder - good there
disconnected the main lines and drained out all the fluid. Hooked up the vacuum to each bleeder and refilled the master cylinder making sure it did not get too low.
I can stop now with confidence.
AJ - you were on the money - could not get it primed and I just hate to give up

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Jon - I'd be willing to bet that dopey137 emptied the MC and lines completely, so priming is a hige PITA.
I did too when I put on the stainless steel lines. Flushed through the m/c a few times with clean, new fluid. Installed the stainless lines, bleed as usual.
Then clamped the brake lever on over night, nice firm lever the next morning.

Jon

·
Registered
950 Posts
I did the clamp thing over night last year, cuz the PO never did anything with the fluid so it was coke coloured and yellow puss. I still don't think that they are firm enough. i completely drained the lines. i just got the speedbleeders in the mail today. Tomorrow im finishing my spline and rect moving and get the speedys on. Hopefully they improve them.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Get yourself a set of Speed Bleeders and you'll be done in 10! I swear by these things, you do the job yourself in no time. They are about 14 bucks a set on ebay or from the company.
Okay - I'm a network engineer... not a mechanic, and I've never bled a thing in my life other than myself. So I have to add, after doing a little reading (thanks to Cliff) these little Speed Bleeders do-dads appear to make bleeding the 750's brakes a non-event. Why would one need anything else? Why a vacuum bleeder? Why all the hassle when/if these guys make it so simple for so little $$ ?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
It seems to me that the only other thing you might need is a small container connected to the speed bleeder with a hose to keep the brake fluid off the wheel, tire and floor.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Okay - I'm a network engineer... not a mechanic, and I've never bled a thing in my life other than myself. So I have to add, after doing a little reading (thanks to Cliff) these little Speed Bleeders do-dads appear to make bleeding the 750's brakes a non-event. Why would one need anything else? Why a vacuum bleeder? Why all the hassle when/if these guys make it so simple for so little $$ ?
There are several ways to skin a cat, catch a mouse, and fry a chicken. I don't flush/bleed my brakes like any of the ways mentioned above, but I get it done it pretty much the same amount of time, and end up with the same (good) results.

Pick your poison, choose your weapon, etc, etc. :)

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
I use a vacuum bleeder because I also do a lot of air over hydraulic brake systems...and that is the only way to bleed them, and since I already own the tool, why not use it for my bike.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I put the speed bleeders on today. and they work really well. i got a crap load of air out.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
It seems to me that the only other thing you might need is a small container connected to the speed bleeder with a hose to keep the brake fluid off the wheel, tire and floor.
if u use a clear hose attached to the container you can see the Little air bubbles in the hose gey less and less till you get a soilid stream....

·
Registered
950 Posts
The speedbleeders are just replacement bleeders for the brakes. they look about the same as regular ones. but these have a check valve that doesnt allow backflow. so you just crack it open slide a hose on to drain and pump the brake and watch the bubbles.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Oh crap!

You guys are scaring the heck out of me now!

I am with msh1156- I'm a computer guy, not a mechanic! I don't really know what I'm doing but I've spent my budget on new accessories so now I have to tow the line of maintenance on my own! :doh:

I am only going through this because I thought adding 12" apes would be a cinch for my first mod. Now I'm desperate for the gratification of completing the job before I loose the battle to fear and just decide stock is as custom as I'm gonna get her!

So my new bars (the ones I was advised would fit without new cables/hoses) need at very least a new top front break hose. Of course this means I have to bleed the brakes to dismantle the system :(

So I just posted my questions about this topic and see this post just beat mine.. now I feel scared and foolish! So I need to add these speed bleeders to my list? I don't have an air compressor, but is that a necessity for the vacuum bleeder system? If it's worth the investment, I'll justify the long postponed purchase of a compressor for this task!

Is this job really hard or is it just intensive? I can work some serious wonders with a computer but I just feel like a fish out of water with a wrench in my hand.. I'd really like to get over that but I really need some support if that's going to happen.

Thanks so much for the info before I jump head long into this thing. I'll be pondering re-installing the stock bars until I get some clarity.. I suppose the cost of all the supplies to accomplish this will also have a heavy weight in the decision.

Great post, great info.. and so far great guidance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dont let this scare you

Basically - the speed bleeders are nice to have and make it easy to work on the brakes. I took the long way and bought the vacuum pump for 35 bucks. This is actually an easy process and requires no brain or compressor. The vacuum bleeder is just a hand held pump with a bottle in the middle to catch the excess fluid and create pressure. hooks up to the bleeder valve at the brakes, pump up a little pressure and it sucks out the air until the lines are full of fluid. It is actually a simple job to do. I bought the vaccuum kit because I can use it over and over again and I own 2 motorcycles. My other is a Harley Electra Glide. And I can use it on my car too.

Oh crap!

You guys are scaring the heck out of me now!

I am with msh1156- I'm a computer guy, not a mechanic! I don't really know what I'm doing but I've spent my budget on new accessories so now I have to tow the line of maintenance on my own! :doh:

I am only going through this because I thought adding 12" apes would be a cinch for my first mod. Now I'm desperate for the gratification of completing the job before I loose the battle to fear and just decide stock is as custom as I'm gonna get her!

So my new bars (the ones I was advised would fit without new cables/hoses) need at very least a new top front break hose. Of course this means I have to bleed the brakes to dismantle the system :(

So I just posted my questions about this topic and see this post just beat mine.. now I feel scared and foolish! So I need to add these speed bleeders to my list? I don't have an air compressor, but is that a necessity for the vacuum bleeder system? If it's worth the investment, I'll justify the long postponed purchase of a compressor for this task!

Is this job really hard or is it just intensive? I can work some serious wonders with a computer but I just feel like a fish out of water with a wrench in my hand.. I'd really like to get over that but I really need some support if that's going to happen.

Thanks so much for the info before I jump head long into this thing. I'll be pondering re-installing the stock bars until I get some clarity.. I suppose the cost of all the supplies to accomplish this will also have a heavy weight in the decision.

Great post, great info.. and so far great guidance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
by the way - I am a professional computer geek too not a mechanic
give me a cisco router any day with bonded ds3's and I can go to town.
Give me a wrench and watch me cringe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts