Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Front brake squeal

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  gumshoe4 
#1 ·
Greetings. The front brakes have squealed a little bit ever since I bought the bike with about 6000 miles on it. I now have 8000. It's not worse and not a problem in terms of ability to stop the bike, but it does get a little annoying. The brake lever does not pulse when the brakes are applied, leading me to believe that the rotors are not warped. I'm guessing a little bit of pad glazing or some such.

I can do the basic maintenance (oil/filter change, etc.), but I don't think I'd try brakes.

Starting easiest first, I got some anti-squeal spray, but there are no instructions on the can about how to apply it. I'm thinking that it is sprayed on the inside (wheel side) of the rotor.

Can anyone provide any guidance about where and how to spray on the anti-squeal compound?

Any ideas about the brake squeal? If this gets any more complex, I'll probably take the bike to the shop to have it checked out.

Thanks in advance for all responses...

#2 ·
mine did that too. it was easy to fix.
I removed the brake calipers cleaned them and then depressed the piston all the way in and then added the fluid while pumping the brakes until the air was all out and the fluid level and lever pressure was good. it's pretty easy. that's a quick summary, but you should be able to find better instructuions on here or in a clymer.

#3 ·
Usually, those products used to quiet brake squeal are applied behind the brake pads, NOT to the rotor, as it is often like grease.
Spray a little on a rag or papertowel and see if it is grease like before putting it on the rotors!

#4 ·
Hypers right Do not apply any thing to friction surface of pads.disc brake quiet,and the like go on the metal side(back) of the pad.Pry the calipers back Carefully and spray brake cleaner in between pads and rotors,remove caliper and apply your anti squeal to the pads, most times brake squeal comes from brake dust between rotor and pad simply rinsing it off does the trick.however if this is the case it could reoccur if your using semi mettallic pads

#6 ·
Thank you, guys...I'm glad I asked before I did something stupid....

I think I'll schlep the bike down to the garage and have them check out the brakes....stopping properly is kind of important to me...

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.