Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2005 Vulcan 750

I noticed the front break squeaks a little when stopping.
After the first 190 miles at about 225 miles now.
Is this normal on a new bike and will go away or should I mention it when I get the 500 mile service if it still is happening?

Its not a super loud noise - I just didn't expect it.

I love this bike - Its so fun and easy to ride :)
Looking forward to getting out of the break in period to rev it up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Flyinv said:
New 2005 Vulcan 750

I noticed the front break squeaks a little when stopping.
After the first 190 miles at about 225 miles now.
Is this normal on a new bike and will go away or should I mention it when I get the 500 mile service if it still is happening?

Its not a super loud noise - I just didn't expect it.

I love this bike - Its so fun and easy to ride :)
Looking forward to getting out of the break in period to rev it up.
Fly...you can eliminate this if you want.
Take off the calipers and apply some disc brake grease to the backs & sides of the pads (NOT the pad material itself!), as well as the spring tensioner under the pads. Then make sure the pads, esp the small one, are properly seated.
You can do this yourself if you're carefull, or get the dealer to do it for you when you bring your ride in for it's first check up...

·
Registered
134 Posts
If anyone is going to pull a caliper then you might as well sand the rotor by hand and also the do the pads lightly. I did when I bought my Vulcan used and again just recently when I installed my new DP sintered metal pads. Never had a squeak with the oem pads or the DP pads which I just broke in. Yes, they have better initial bite than the stockers and cost less. Now do use some elbow grease when sanding the pads with 3M 100 grit Garnet sandpaper which is just plain old wood sandpaper. It took a boatload of research to find out what was truly the best stuff to sand with and most of us already have some in the garage! I haven't greased anything in my brakes, just cleaned 'em up with rags, Q-tips and Kerosene when I had em off to istall the DP pads.

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
My '94 has always had a touch of front break squeak occasionally (seems almost weather related), I've just learned to live with it...lol.

·
Geek
872 Posts
My '05 has 4800 miles, never heard a squeek.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I'm not sure what the composition of pads is on the new bikes, but I have changed out pads on other bikes from stock to organic to eliminate the squeak. Well, if it's just a little squeak, it may be okay; if it's starting to squeal (which was happening on my partner's bike) change the pads (or follow any of the above advice - especially putting stuff on the back of the pads) before it drives you insane. :) The organics are nice.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
silicone brake caliper grease

My bike just tripped 30000 miles I installed new wheel bearings and brake pads they squealed from the moment that i put them on. I used a couple of products that we use on customers cars at work. The first was a silicone based grease made by crc. I applied it to the backs of the brake pads. Then I scuffed the friction side with a red 3m scuff pad and put a product called
BG stop squeal. It is available at most automotive repair shops you put it on the friction side and it will dry to a dull finish and just install on the bike have not had a problem since.
Drew:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts