Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the dealership about the front brake rub that I posted about a few days ago. The calipers are leaking. So, with parts and labor, the guy said I was looking at about $800. My bike is a 94 with 16k miles on it. It is worth maybe $2000. There are some calipers going on ebay for $60. So my question is are the front brake calipers on our bikes interchangeable through all the different years?

On Ron Ayers, they go for $219 for the left and $273 for the right.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I just got back from the dealership about the front brake rub that I posted about a few days ago. The calipers are leaking. So, with parts and labor, the guy said I was looking at about $800. My bike is a 94 with 16k miles on it. It is worth maybe $2000. There are some calipers going on ebay for $60. So my question is are the front brake calipers on our bikes interchangeable through all the different years?

$800????? That sounds like robbery!!

One Adam 12, One Adam 12, 2-11 in progress!!!
Kinda sounds more like they just don't want to do them, so they gave you an outragous price.

I had my stator replaced for less than 1/2 of that price!!!

Yes, the calipers should be interchangable between years. The master cylinder is what's different.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Also seems strange that BOTH caliphers are leaking....what are the odds of that happening?

I think I would take the bike somewhere else and get a second opinion.

If all is true, yeah, by the parts off ebay and do it yourself...not really a hard job and you have all us to help you.........

KM

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While it would save a bit of money, I don't know if I am comfortable doing it myself. It is the kind of thing that if I do wrong, I could crash and hurt myself. Maybe I am just lacking confidence. Maybe I just know my own limits.

Also, driving it home would terrify me.

They said that it would only take an about an hour of labor to do, so that isn't too bad. It is the brand new calipers and how they raise the price a certain percent that would get me.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Well it is your money. The thing sounds real fishy to me, because if the caliphers are both leaking, you would think the brakes would not work, and would not be "rubbing" but be pretty damn silent.

And if they were leaking it seems you would have noticed brake fluid dripping off them....and still not sure why they would only rub when the bars are turned hard.

So I do suggest a second opinion, even if you can just find somewhen else near you that knows about bikes to look at it for you.

If you bought another set of calipher off ebay, would the shop put them on for you?

And why can't they rebuild the ones you have? where are they "leaking?"

Sorry, but too many unansered questions on this one.

KM

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

Will fit from 85'-06'

Buy used from newer model. :smiley_th

LEFT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-KAWASAKI-VULCAN-VN-750-VN750-LEFT-FRONT-CALIPER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a1Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem230335916985QQitemZ230335916985QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

RIGHT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-KAWASAKI-VULCAN-VN-750-VN750-RIGHT-FRONT-CALIPER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a1Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem230335917404QQitemZ230335917404QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I replaced mine last fall for the same reason, both calipers were leaking. The left was worse than the right. the piston was at a slight angle and only applying pressure to half of the pad. Niether side dripped any fluid but they were wet. The brakes worked but the left one was dragging and I did not have the stopping power I had before.

I doubt they started to leak at the same exact time, but I would guess within a week or two. Since I already bought a complete setup off a 03' two tears earlier it was no big deal, 45 minutes later they were installed and bled.

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
I rebuilt mine for a fraction of the cost with parts from cheapcycleparts.com It is not difficult at all, follow the Clymer Manual and you can't go wrong. Get yourself a set of speedbleeders to make the brake bleeding easier.

I see used ones on ebay all the time.

I'm inclined to think it's wheel bearings and not brakes. Don't take your bike to a dealership, find an independent shop and have them check it out.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Does the front brake work properly, and slow you down?
Can you see any brake fluid leaking around the calipers or brake lines?

X2 to KM`s suggestion on getting a second opinion about the calipers?

If you really need new calipers, grab up the ones that lance found on ebay for $25 each.
Even if you decide to pay a shop for an hours labor to install them, instead of doing it yourself, you will still save hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm inclined to think it's wheel bearings and not brakes.
They let me sit on the bike with the calipers and see how it felt, then did the same with the calipers off. It was fine with them off. Also, they said they checked the bearing and that it looked fine.

Does the front brake work properly, and slow you down?
Can you see any brake fluid leaking around the calipers or brake lines?
They do work. I have not noticed any break fluid dripping off calipers, however when they took me into the shop, I did see that they were wet. Also, I did notice before I took it in that the brake fluid level was a little lower than before.

I think that I will take it to another shop to get a second opinion. I still think I’ll get the calipers on ebay, then if they are not needed, just put em’ back up there.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
have to go with Knifemaker on this one all the way!!!!!!

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
You could score mine for $25 each plus shipping, and they come with pads (green kevlar less than 1k miles) and speed bleeders.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
You could score mine for $25 each plus shipping, and they come with pads (green kevlar less than 1k miles) and speed bleeders.
Now that's a great deal!:beerchug:

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
AJ's deal is GREAT - go for it. He is absolutely trustworthy and reliable you will not go wrong getting these from him! You also won't get them any cheaper anywhere.

Reactions: FlaRider

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah man. Too late. I bought some on ebay for $25 each. Sorry about that. If it wasn't too late, I'd go through you.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Ah well. I don't get on here as often as I'd like anymore now that I'm back to work. Def let us know if the replacements did the trick.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Ah man. Too late. I bought some on ebay for $25 each. Sorry about that. If it wasn't too late, I'd go through you.
When you install the calipers use Valvoline DOT 4 synthetic Brake Fluid. :beerchug:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts