Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but I couldn't find anything specifically relating to my problems.

First, it seems the brake pads are dragging on the front brakes. This isn't noticably slowing the bike down, but when I shut the engine down and coast into my parking spot, I can definately hear the pads dragging. Is this normal? What should I do about it?

The brake lever sometimes has "play" in it. Basically you can pull it for several mm's before the brake lever feels firm. It doesn't feel mushy or spongy. It just is free to swing back and fort. In fact, it often rests in such a way to keep the rear brake light on. This problem is intermitten. Riding around tonight, the lever exhibited the "play." Then just before I parked it, I did an emergency braking test and the lever snapped out to its proper positiong. Earlier today, the lever was exhibing similar problems.

The dealership said that maybe the fluid could be changed. He said it was a bit dark. I figure thats probably a good idea anyway, as I will eventually change out all the fluids. Might as well start now. Do you guys think thats the cause of my problem? Or is there something else?

Thanks.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
that is an issue or disc brakes, your car does it too. as long as you can hand turn ur wheel with out much force, then ur fine....

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
humm....dunno bout the brakes though, have you checked the whats left on your pads? havent dealt too much with the breaking system, but i know that just bout all the rubber inside should be replaced every like 2 yrs (listed in service man.) doubt "dirty" fluid would do that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How old is your fluid? Changing it should help. Just bleeding them will make a difference as well.

You can also try this: Gently put a wide flathead screw driver in between the disc and pad. Carefully pry the pad away from the disc moving the screw driver around. Do this for both front pads/discs. Then pump the lever back up. You may have to repeat.
This should help push any air bubbles in the lines back up into the resevoir. Check the fluid level after and top off if needed.

Turning the bars back and forth may also shake anything loose from the cross line below the headlight.

I installed steel braided lines ( a 2 line kit omitting the cross line) which made a huge improvement.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Check the brake fluid in the sight glass on your Master Cylinder. the fluid shoul be a light amber color. If it is dark or muddy looking it beeds changing. General rule is.. change fluid every other year or as needed if the color inducates. "Spongy" brakes usually means they need to be bled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts