Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Yearround Rider
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally at 35K. I have the pads, and dismounted the left caliper, but cant figure how to get the bigger (inside) pad out. The one with the two holes that track on the two stems. The trusty Service Manual says "push the caliper holder to the piston side, and then remove the pads." Well, the small one next to the piston lifts out easily, but the other is prevented by the two stems.

I think I'm just missing something simple. Should the stems move in the housing? Is there a simple pushback procedure?

All is back to OK but it's gnawing. Help appreciated as in times past.

Schooner

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
(More replies will be coming.....)

I vaguely remember doing mine and kind of leaning and twisting the pad (as much as it will twist) and getting it off of one post first, and then the other.

Somewhere in this forum, somebody wrote up a better detailed description of getting it out.

There is no special tool or anything though, it does pop out, just not as easy at it seems it should at first, but it doesn't take more than about 5 minutes either.

Sorry I'm not more help here, but I just don't remember the details all that well.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
You have to squeeze the mount bracket as tight as you can toward the piston. It will come out and go back in. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
JUst had this fight ,Push the part the pad with the holes in is on all the way inbut keep the pads near the end of the pins,tilt the pad in toward the center of the caliper while holding the floating part with the pins in and the pad will slip right out,if I did not explain that well enough,here it worded a little different is tilt the part that points toward the center of the wheel (opposite of where the pins go through towards the center of the caliper and it will slip off the pins, hard to explain but once you do it once it is a puzzle you won't have to work again,hope this was some help and didn't just confuse you worse

·
Yearround Rider
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, VN750. for the assistances. Those plus a couple of comments from other sources got the job done today: "the caliper holder without the rubber friction boot moves easier"; and the "end of a 1/4" short extension with a socket on it to push that one in far enuff (sic.)." Also recommend a flat screwdriver for various wedging needs, and teflon spray. Where did they come up with that non-trivial, non-Manualed design? Again, many thanks.

Schooner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts