Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Got a repair shop changing my fork seals (the downside to not having a backyard in a city) and they said some oil has leaked onto the front brake pads. Obviously they want to replace them at high cost so I said I would do it myself.

They felt a tad mushy on the ride over, but I had/have a feeling there may be an air bubble in the fluid. Was going to change the fluid anyhow. What do you guys think? Clean the rotors/change fluid and see how it handles or replace the pads? (I should be able to find a write up on here). Side note question- taking off the pads and putting them in brake cleaner for a while- would that break down any oil on there?

Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a follow up- well the pads themselves are pretty grimy and oil covered. I decided I may as well replace them, but ran into 1 thing- the manual says to push the caliper holder towards the piston to release the pads. I can't get mine past flush with the brake pad holes. Any suggestions/tricks?

Also, I have seen pistons where you can put a flat head screwdriver and turn them inward. Is that fine for this bike as the others? Or would that just run the risk of damaging the piston.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one, but I can't get to it yet since the larger pad isn't out. I am not sure if there is enough surface area on the caliper holder to use a c-clamp on that though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brake pads

So, I am unable to find any thing on the web about changing the pads in general. How the heck do you get the big pad's off the front caliper?! Year is 2005 size 750, feel like a rookie all over again! :hitanykey

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the plan so far:

-Put bike on center stand.
-Bleed out some of the brake fluid (use a tiny hose) from the bleed valve on the right side caliper (makes it easier). Don't let air into your system.
-Use 10mm (I think) socket and undo the 2 bolts holding the caliper on the fork tube.
-Pull the caliper assembly off and look at how the pads are in there. The pad on the piston side is smaller and just held in by pressure and two notches towards the base (you will notice them when you push it out).
-The two black caliper holders can be pressed in towards the piston to get the larger pad out. This is where my issue is since I can't quite get enough clearance to get it out. Trying again today.
-Use a C-clamp or hand to push the piston as far in as you can. This is why you drained some brake fluid.
-Put new pads on and attach caliper back to bike. MAKE SURE to pump the brake handle a few times to get the new pads to bite.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
There are 3 or 4 pages of instructions for front brake pad replacement in the Clymer manual, and I assume in the Kaw manual on the TOC site or the one in Kanuck69`s sigline.

Most of the instructions are pretty straight forward and common sense if you have changed brake pads on a car.
One that I hadn`t noticed before was to check the back of the brake pad`s steel plate for roughness and file it smooth if needed.
Also apply a little high temp disc brake lube to the end of the piston and the back of the steel plate when assembling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, I am unable to find any thing on the web about changing the pads in general. How the heck do you get the big pad's off the front caliper?! Year is 2005 size 750, feel like a rookie all over again! /forum/images/smilies/hitanykey.gif
Also had this issue at first. A perfect amount of pressure back on the cushioned pins provides just enough but barely enough room to slide off one side of the large pad. If the pin is gunked up it may be near impossible to push it back far enough to slip the pad off its guide. Also consider a drummel tool to cut the pad if you are so daring to do so. I didn’t have to take it that far but it seemed like it might be fun to try. Also grease those suckers up or WD40 it and pull like hell with pliers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey man are you the forum master or something? I’m new and these are the posts that come up when I search. I thought it was frowned upon to start new threads on the same topics so I’m keeping this thing streamlined. Your welcome ALL! 😉

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Don't mind Knifemaker. Sometimes his fiber gets WAY off and stuff just spews out... ;)

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts