Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1999 vn750 in October and have gone through 3 front brake light switches. First one, the switch detent locked down and wouldn't toggle, the second one some circutry fried inside and the third the detent locked down again. Each time the switch doesn't last more than a week.

Argggh! Anybody with any thoughts here?

·
NewB to Vulcans
220 Posts
The two mechanical failures could be caused by a misalignment somewhere. Could the mounting location be damaged so it puts unwanted (sideways) forces on the switch mechanism?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Check the wires for shorts. Shorts are bad, but pants are acceptable. :laugh:
If there is a short, the excess current could overheat the switch.
An overheated switch could physically bind and stop actuating.

In case you are wondering, wire pants are actually a thing!
They prevent shorts.
https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Wire-Pants-Gauge-Boot/dp/B004YUIW1Q

·
Registered
33 Posts
Pulling too much amperage due to corroded connections and/or bad grounds will melt headlight sockets for sure.
Might be enough draw in that brite brake filliment to futz the internal switch contacts as well.
Check the bulb socket and ground(s)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stumbled upon the thought you guys might be right about current.

The most recent switch was stuck recessed, and I got it released and it tested fine. Then sometime later that day it stopped working.

Few weeks later now and I found time to take another look and the switch seems fine and I had it off mount, hanging in space, key on and manually triggering. Looks good. Weird, right? So, I went to get a can of wd40 and maybe lube the detent a bit and when I got back and lifted the switch up, I about burned my finger off. Yeoww!

I don't think it should be that hot. Like, ever.

So now the question is why? I can certainly get in there and clean up the contacts on the bulbs, but what else could it be?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I would bet there's a short to ground between the switch and the tail light. I think there's a set of bullet connectors under the seat that goes to the tail light that might be getting pinched against the fender. Corroded terminals would decrease current in the switch (but may create localized heat at the corrosion). A short after the light would have no effect since that wire goes to ground anyway.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would agree that there is a wiring problem after the switch. If it's getting that hot, something must be shorted to ground.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts