Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I discovered that the brake fluid is supposed to be clear instead of black ....... So I changed it out today - so my question is how do you know if they are adjusted properly or is there any adjustments to do? I rode it for about 50 miles and things see to be ok but I don't actually know how you tell when everything is right. Tomorrow I have about a 150 mile ride up in the mountains to do some work. For a new client so. I will get to test them out quite a bit :) any suggestions are appreciated

·
Registered
856 Posts
If i recall correctly, per the repair manual there are no adjustments for the front brakes. just need to make sure they are bleed properly and that all the air bubles are out of the line.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
There are no adjustments on disc brakes. The ones on the Vulcan are easy to bleed, you don't even need to do all the pumping you have to do with some brakes. Just loosen the bleeder screws, put clear plastic lines on them, and stick the other end of the line into some kind of container, then pour fluid in the master cylinder. It will slowly drain through all by itself. But don't let the fluid in the master cylinder get too low. Just keep pouring until it's full. Keep doing that for a little while, maybe refill the cylinder 5 times. The last time you refill it, get down there and tighten the bleeder screws. Fill the master cylinder to the full level, put the top cover and diaphragm back on, and your brakes should work perfectly. If there is excess play or sponginess, you will have to do it again. If this is your first time bleeding brakes, it may take you 2-3 times to get it right.

Normally I recommend Speedbleeders (www.speedbleeder.com) but the Vulcan doesn't seem to need them.

I change my fluid about every 2 years.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys that's what I did - but being my first time doing them - I didn't want to have one of those unexpected moments of clarity out on the highway when all was taking a fast turn for the worse because of something I should have done :)
I went about 150 miles yesterday up into the mountains and all seemed good.
Thanks again

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I replaced my brake fluid - I have discovered that my front brake is dragging on the rotor - how do you adjust that out?

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Sounds like your brake line on the sticking side has collapsed on the inside not letting fluid go back up line. Very common on disk brakes on cars, happened to me last year with my classic Mini Cooper going to a car show, pushed piston back in and clamped off that line with vice grips to keep it from sticking till repair could be made (replaced that line ) The line can look perfect on the outside!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Ma Kaw recommends replacing the OEM brake hoses every 4 years.
I suspect most are never changed unless they cause problems or are damaged.

Many stainless steel replacements in this ebay list have life time warranties.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=750&_kw=stainless&_kw=steel&_kw=brake&_kw=lines

Unfortunately I can`t find an auction for a set for the vn750 amongst them.
You could try contacting one of the sellers to see if they can get or make a set for you.

·
Super Moderator
11,859 Posts
Uh, when you say the brakes are dragging, how did you discover this?

It's common for the the pads to lightly drag on the disc....not enough to keep you from moving the bike, but enough to hear when the bikes not running.

So, are the pads just rubbing a bit or is the wheel so slowed you can't push the bike forward?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed the other day a sort of rubbing or "grinding" sound coming from up front sometimes when I make a leaning turn. So while I had the bike up on the stand I rotated the front wheel and you could hear the brake rubbing and see it slowing down the rotation. But it's not hard to push or anything.

·
Super Moderator
11,859 Posts
I noticed the other day a sort of rubbing or "grinding" sound coming from up front sometimes when I make a leaning turn. So while I had the bike up on the stand I rotated the front wheel and you could hear the brake rubbing and see it slowing down the rotation. But it's not hard to push or anything.
Without examining your bike , I would have to say this is normal. The brake pads basically "float" in between the caliper piston and the disc, and can rattle around some..touching the disc. No harm really.

Sometimes cleaning out the piston bore and installing new brake pads helps. (you didn't say how many miles you got on the bike)
But...
Even brand new bikes do this, so as long as the bike rolls freely I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's the kind of thing I love to hear :)
(it's got about 20000 miles on it)
It is now my daily driver so I am trying to be sure I stay ahead of any problems - it's also the only bike I have ever ridden - I have only been at this for about 3 years - so I am still learning - the bike had about 7000 miles on it when I got it - my only regret is that I didn't start riding years ago this is the best transportation on the planet - I love it.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Hey Trek, what did you ever find with front brakes sticking?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well - they don't seem to be doing anything since it has warmed up a bit. maybe it was something to do with riding in 30-40 deg weather?
I don't have a clue. but all is good for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts