Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Has anyone ever removed the front axle and then had a problem getting it back in? It was tough coming out but now no matter what I do it wont go back in. It appears that the wider portion is hitting on the outer side of the pinch bracket. I have lifted it and attempted to center it then hit it with a rubber mallet...no luck. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
If it came out, it's gotta go back in! A couple of thoughts: one is to have someone hang onto the back of the bike so you can really be sure about the alignment;the the rubber mallet is a good idea; second, pull the bolt out of the pinch bracket entirely (just in case you haven't) - it may be in there and loose, but not loose enough to allow the axle to seat properly. And don't forget to put the spacer back in! Wide part to the outside of the wheel. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the pinch bracket bolt out and the tip of a screwdriver wedged in there to try to pry it open a little and the da%# thing still won't go. I even loosened the bolts of the lower fork brackets to ensure the alignment was straight. I'm at a loss.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I have the pinch bracket bolt out and the tip of a screwdriver wedged in there to try to pry it open a little and the da%# thing still won't go. I even loosened the bolts of the lower fork brackets to ensure the alignment was straight. I'm at a loss.
I'm at a loss, too. Do you have the bike up on a jack so that you can move the front wheel around freely? Alternately, have you had someone hold the back of the bike down to take pressure off the front wheel altogether?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Are you sure it's not hanging up on the left side fork? Or tried siding the axle through, without the wheel, to see if it fits?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just did this. Had problems getting the speedo reciever alined. make sure the drive tangs are seated (left wheel side to speedo reciever) but then it went together ok. roll the axel on a sure flat surface to see if it is bent. I had one on a honda that looked ok but when rolled the wobble became visable. 3z

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did try it without the tire and it would not go. I will try rolling it on a flat surface next and see what happens. Did you have to hit the axle in or were you just able to push it in by hand? Thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming...I can't go far without a front tire.

·
Registered
476 Posts
you should never have to force or otherwise bang it in. If you do you risk damage you don't want. Something simple must be the problem. Make sure nothing is in the way of it going back in. Your eyes are the best tool for this. Just be patiant. I had some trouble when replacing my fender, took the wheel off and couldn't replace the axel. I found I was just too impaitiant.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just replaced my tires last week. I didn't take the pinch bolt out, just had it loose. I just tapped axle in with a rubber mallet.
This may sound like a dumb question, but you are installing the axle in from the right to left? The pinch bolt is on the right side of the bike and the axle nut on the left.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going in from right to left and when I tap it with a rubber mallet it sounds like metal on metal. It wants to bounce back out at me. I can see it has already entered the left side so I know it's not hung up there.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I am going in from right to left and when I tap it with a rubber mallet it sounds like metal on metal. It wants to bounce back out at me. I can see it has already entered the left side so I know it's not hung up there.
Can you take and post a couple of pics? Maybe we can see something in 'em since we're not so up-close-and-personal with the bike. I agree with liljd that you shouldn't have to pop it with a mallet, but sometimes just a light pop will do the trick if you're otherwise lined up ok. So it's the "otherwise lined up ok" that seems to be the problem. :confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I reinstalled my axel It was necessary to put a jack under the front of the bike to hold ALL the weight of the front wheel. At first I was not getting the right side (pinch bolt end) lined up in the center of the pinch hole and the sholder was hitting the side, not letting the axel go all the way home. After getting the weight off the front wheel got down and made sure it was centerd then a lite mallet tap and it went in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I GOT IT!! Thanks to everyone for your help. After a close examination I found a fairly large burr on the inside of the pinch bracket. The PO must have tried to beat this thing in and that's why it was so hard coming out. I took a file and filed away the burr and it went in with hardly a tap of the mallet. Nice to know I have everbody's help. Thanks again.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Congrats 77 :beerchug: Sometimes the littlest things can put a BIG cramp in ones efforts.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Congrats! I've been watching the thread from the sidelines since I am going to be changing the tires on my bike for the first time. Glad you got it worked out!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts