Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after my ride today I decided I was going to clean my rims on my front tire. When I was down there I noticed that my front axle nut is gone! :doh:I dont know how it randomly dissapeared but I do believe I need to put one on. I was wondering has this ever happened to anyone else? Also will a regular 14mm nut work from like Lowes?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
So after my ride today I decided I was going to clean my rims on my front tire. When I was down there I noticed that my front axle nut is gone! :doh:I dont know how it randomly dissapeared but I do believe I need to put one on. I was wondering has this ever happened to anyone else? Also will a regular 14mm nut work from like Lowes?
Was it the nut that is supposed to have a cotter pin on it? If so, you'll want one that is cut for that, so you can replaced the cotter pin and ensure it doesn't back out again.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
My front axle doesn't have a castle nut with cotter pin. Only the rear does. :confused:
The fronts do not come with a castle nut. You are fine.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
You can get the nut at yer closest Harley shop (note, I didnt say dealer)...same forks...same axle....if a Kawi shop is closer, go there...all the same...and if ya get a nut from HomeDecoy, make sure its the proper hardness....thats them lil numbers and slashes on the sides...when ya put the new on, put a dab of Loctite on, or take a point punch, and peen the axle threads a lil just outside of the nut...

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
The fronts do not come with a castle nut. You are fine.
I thought the same thing after I got my bike. If you look at the bike from the front, the bit of axle on the left side with the hole is to help you get leverage to unscrew the axle. No castle nut needed.

·
Banned
54 Posts
The front axle nut is a locking type. I would replace it with a stock part. The axle still can't come out, as it is clamped on the other side. But I wouldn't want no Home Depot nut on my axle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts