Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i've read a bunch of posts about fork oil, and the consensus seems to be 15w in the forks.
but i don't see a clear consensus on the rear shocks.
the manual says 5W... some use 10w i see.

so for a 185lb rider with only about 10lb of 'stuff' in the rear knapsack...

it sounds like 15w in the forks.
10w in the rear shocks, with about 20lbs air pressure in the rear shocks and on #2 detent on the rear springs.
and #4 in the rare instances i have a 110lb wife on the back.

does that sound about right? :confused:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
That sounds about right to me, from what I`ve read, but I don`t have any hands on experience with this service yet.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The air pressure is right, should be 10% of load, that includes any accesories. I put in 10w and it was harsh for my tastes. I am about the same weight as you. I think the factory of 5w was too light, but it was also 9yrs old. It is really easy to change. I am thinking of changing mine to 5w, just so when I am trying to sell it, it isn't too harsh for people.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
hey Jace I was just reading a on the front fork oil change in a factory manual and it shows an air valve on the front fork,am i seeing things or did that just apply to earlier models all I see on mine is the Knurled cap is the air valve underneath it or does it not have one,just the cap?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
hey Jace I was just reading a on the front fork oil change in a factory manual and it shows an air valve on the front fork,am i seeing things or did that just apply to earlier models all I see on mine is the Knurled cap is the air valve underneath it or does it not have one,just the cap?
Front fork air valve was used from 85'-88'. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
alrighty then ,Lance

·
Registered
950 Posts
x2. yeah I was looking for that when I first got my bike

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, i changed my rear shock oil. used 10W fork oil.
and used the syringe that was mentioned in the forum to suck out the old and put back the new... made it go a lot quicker.

but i'm confused about the quantitys. :confused:
the Clymers says to fill it up, then drain out 90ml (the air volume) and that it will then leave the correct amount of oil and 90ml of empty space.

well.. i measured everything...
i sucked out 110ml of old oil.
when i filled it up completely it took 185ml.
then sucked out 90ml of new oil.. which means i now should have...
90ml of air, and 95ml of oil in the shock.

this is kind of close to the 110ml of old oil i sucked out.
but doesn't seem to jive with the numbers in the Clymers book.. although i'm not sure if the Clymers book is giving a total volume or an oil volume.. either way it doesn't match.

at any rate, the rear end feels a lot better now.

anybody else measured theirs exactly and have similar volumes to what i measured?

(and sorry about saying 'sucked' so much... my kids a bad influence on me i guess :rolleyes:

·
D2u
175 Posts
I don't know man. I put 140 mls in mine and called it good. I think thats how much i put in there.There is a write up on it here some where. Rides much better now!

·
Registered
950 Posts
I can't remember how much I put it. I know it was a lot. I just followed what the kawi manual says for ammount. but that could be why it is too stiff. I will have to check what it is that I went off of.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The kawi service manual says it hold 142ml/cc of oil. But it also says to fill the shock completely then remove the 91ml/cc that would make up the air volume. So my understanding is that they want you to put in 233ml/cc total, then take out the 91cc? I don't understand why you can't just put in the 142cc and be done with it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
IMHO the reason why they say, first fill it completely and afterwards get 91 ml out is because there will always be some oil left in the shocks. How much it is you cannot see but one thing is for 100% sure: full is full.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts