Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

From scratch to vulcan a few days…..starting….NOW

3K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  OleDirtyDoc 
#1 ·
I'm going to start from the basic nut and bolt, wire, and connector and build a bike in a few days. I bought this donor on Saturday and brought it back to the house to be stripped down and today I took it from complete bike to completely broken down.

When done, it will be showroom perfect. I'll post pics every day of it's progress and we should have us a factory fresh mint vulcan here in a few days. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A few days?!! :) You got the OVERHAULlIN' crew next door?

Don't forget safety glasses with that wire wheel, they can throw wire off and it really sucks when it sticks in you.

Starts now... Stopwatch, hourglass, or sundial? We're timing you. :)

#4 · (Edited)
A few days?!! :) You got the OVERHAULlIN' crew next door?

Starts now... Stopwatch, hourglass, or sundial? We're timing you. :)
I have built 8 of my 75+ cars I've owned. I'm a car nut. I built my very first truck (vehicle) at 15 and I used to sell auto parts on ebay in 2001 from parts I stripped off in-op cars I bought at auction 5 at a time.

My pride and joy I built was my 1950 Pontiac Custom. Here's a look at it. :) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3113725/1950-pontiac-chieftain/

I've worked on my Pristine 2005 Vulcan for 2 years, but never torn it down and saw everything that made it tick until today. For me, a bike is tiny compared to stripping a car and rebuilding it so it's a challenge, but not a massive ordeal. :) I expect I tore this '94 down in one day, I'll sand, paint, clean, and prep the parts back to mint in one day, and build it in one day. I expect Thursday to be firing it up. :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Let's cross our fingers. :)

#5 ·
Sounds like my younger days, owned 127 cars before I got married at a young age. Have built a lot of stuff for myself and others.

Always liked those turtleback GMs. Wish I could find my cardomain page!

#6 ·
Doing this for my wife's bike. We have a cool take on the factory paint scheme we're going with.

Will be watching this thread!

Reactions: One1
#9 ·
6 hours from frame to built and wired. Just need to drop the engine in tomorrow and I'm done! :) I'm going to use the tank off my 2005 instead of the 94 since it's mint and the 94 has a small dent.

Attachments

Reactions: Gaz73
#11 · (Edited)
Well done! Made more progress than I did today, hah.

Good idea with the colored zip ties! However those stator wise are all interchangeable. Neat trick though.

#12 ·
Well it was an interesting few days. The bike has been fully maintained and is super factory clean. It shouldn't give me any issue and I'll have a great summer of fun. I redid all the rubber washers on the thermostat and on the inlets of the engine, and so on so there is nothing to fail maintenance wise. New hoses as well. :) Frame to riding in 3 days and it couldn't be nicer if I bought it off the showroom floor. :)

#16 ·
You lost me at I have a frame...Great information and thanks for sharing!

#19 ·
Absolutely. I got her dusty today on the road. I'll give it a bath in the AM and take a few. I also made a new way to remove and reinstall the airbox. I'll be doing a thread on that. 1 simple thing and it slides right in and out with no effort or cursing and nothing has to be modified in a way that it can't be fixed in ten seconds to the way it was, and no you don't have to saw it in half or make any destructive modification. Nothing but the gas tank and seat need be removed from a complete and running bike to do it.

#23 ·
Took a 50 mile trip today on my other bike I just built. Rides awesome lowered 4 inches. My cream puff feels like it is sitting in the clouds after riding this one. Biggest difference is how much the higher one sways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.