Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 VN750 and have an issue when switching from "ON" to "RES." When I first got the bike, the engine would die when I started running out of fuel and switched to reserve while riding. I would have to pull over and wait a few minutes before the bike would start again on reserve. I took the bike back to the dealer and they cut a little excess fuel line which seems to fix the problem.
Two years have passed and I haven't had much of a problem...until today.
The bike started to chug along so I reached down and flipped the switch, but it seems like it's taking too long for the fuel to flow or something. I pulled over, waited a minute and started the bike and went on my way.

Anybody have any idea as to what would be causing this? Is this heat related because this has only been an issue in the warmer weather?

Thanks
J

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
It's possible that the pickup tube for the reserve position is partially clogged. I always run fuel through the reserve on every tank to keep it freeflowing.

Try a tank of fuel with Seafoam in it and run it through on reserve only. Just watch your mileage so you don't run out of gas.

Jon

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
My bike did this goin down the interstate...not a fun place for the bike to die. I just figured I sucked the carb dry. But now you have me curious.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I always run with reserve on as well and try to fill up with 2.25 gallons every 100 miles or so.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
It does take a few seconds for the bowl to refill and if your bike dies or sputters before you switch to res, your bowl is empty so you would have to coast a ways before the engine would catch. Problem is, when the bike sputters, you need your left hand to turn it to reserve, and the engine is braking the bike, so it's slowing down quickly. If they'd put the petcock on the right, you could pull the clutch and coast better while turning it to reserve, and then let off the clutch a few times to see if it would re-start, as you are coasting. Since we can't do that, it's just better to know about how many miles you need to switch to reserve before you run the carbs dry.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I had this happen a couple of times. I figured out that I wasn't paying attention to the engine. If I had switched the petcock at the first hesitation it would make a smooth transition but I waited till it was barely running and that's when I had the problem. It takes a few minutes until gravity restores an even fuel flow and all is well again.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had this happen a couple of times. I figured out that I wasn't paying attention to the engine. If I had switched the petcock at the first hesitation it would make a smooth transition but I waited till it was barely running and that's when I had the problem. It takes a few minutes until gravity restores an even fuel flow and all is well again.
yup.. me too... slow learner... happened to me 3 times, lol..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts