Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just put it back together

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on the bike (2004 VN750) which had locked up engine, from what I can tell was already split in half before me and reassembled bacn with a worn crankshaft, which caused piston go nuts and damage itself and the bore, but thats another story.
Got replacement parts for that problem, but as I was testing-assembling it back I've noticed that there is a friction between shift forks and output shaft gear bodies. I can move input shaft freely, but output shaft is not so free to move (rotating it in neutral).

Upon inspection I can see exactly where thus happens (shift works are rubbing).

Also, inspected the housing on the left crankcase for the shift forks rod, and I see it was bent back and the rod itself has some play. You can see it can wiggles to the left, however when I put right crankcase on I make it straight as it supposed to be, which is to the right, and I am not sure if this play affect the positioning of the forks.

Few questions here:

1. How reliable it is to proceed with assembly this way? Is there a chance this will break-in a bit and will cause no trouble in a not-so-long future?

2. If it's not safe, maybe you have any creative ideas how to repair that? I was thinking JB Weld or some kind of cold welding compound to partially fill into the housing and drilling/sanding it to the necessary form.

P.S. This initially was a parts bike which I got for cheap, but got a chance to make it run again, so I might not care if things won't be ideal but still work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying that the output shaft is impossible to turn, or turns but with some resistance?

Some resistance is expected because you're still turning all the gears, even in neutral.
It's not turning by hand, but by the wrench. You can see by the links in the post how it scrapes shifting forks. Is it normal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Ok, I see your links now.

Friction on the output shaft does appear to be excessive. Rubbing the shift forks like that probably means a thrust washer is misplaced or not installed. That's about the right amount of contact equal to thrust washer thickness.

The wobble on the other shaft may be normal, since it's normally supported on both ends.

Going to be a real headache. You'll have to refer to the diagrams and search out all the thrust washers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Friction on the output shaft does appear to be excessive. Rubbing the shift forks like that probably means a thrust washer is misplaced or not installed. That's about the right amount of contact equal to thrust washer thickness.

The wobble on the other shaft may be normal, since it's normally supported on both ends.

Going to be a real headache. You'll have to refer to the diagrams and search out all the thrust washers.
I see, I actually recently placed two thrust washers on the input shaft, but for the output shaft I had all of them present. I will double check later today with a diagram and will let you know. In the meantime, do you think that might be because of the shift forks rod possibly being at an angle instead of being straight? It kinda looks like forks are rubbing against the corner of the gear, not the whole body. I had this suspicion, but going to check washers for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see, I actually recently placed two thrust washers on the input shaft, but for the output shaft I had all of them present. I will double check later today with a diagram and will let you know. In the meantime, do you think that might be because of the shift forks rod possibly being at an angle instead of being straight? It kinda looks like forks are rubbing against the corner of the gear, not the whole body. I had this suspicion, but going to check washers for sure.

I am going to check the presence of the 92024's and 92026's on the output shaft, but how I remember they were in place (never dissasembled). All of the parts from the input shaft are present (verified that) and 92022A from the output shaft is also present.
Font Auto part Diagram Line art Drawing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts