Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have never been registered to a forum before, but figured it was about time. i've never posted, but am in need of assistance. I'm helping to restore my dad's old 1985 kawasaki vulcan, vn700, and he mentioned that there was a freeze plug out.. i've searched my service manual, and nowhere does it mention freeze plug, expansion plug, crank case plug, engine block plug, etc.. does anyone know of a website or link to a diagram that shows the location of the freeze plugs?? any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Hello, i have never been registered to a forum before, but figured it was about time. i've never posted, but am in need of assistance. I'm helping to restore my dad's old 1985 kawasaki vulcan, vn700, and he mentioned that there was a freeze plug out.. i've searched my service manual, and nowhere does it mention freeze plug, expansion plug, crank case plug, engine block plug, etc.. does anyone know of a website or link to a diagram that shows the location of the freeze plugs?? any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hi, and Welcome.
I do not know of any freeze plugs on the 750....doubt the 700 has one either.

I suspect he might be viewing a hole which is missing a pipe or hose attachment.
Where exactly on the engine is this problem/issue ?

WiliiamTech :smiley_th

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
After your total posts reach (I think) 5, you will be allowed to post pics.

.....post a couple pics of the problem area.

:smiley_th

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
There are no freeze plugs but there is a bleeder screw on each head they are located near the bottom of each head front head has a 10mm screw on the right side of the bike and the rear head has the same screw on the left side

But if your dad is anything like mine he might just be pulling your chain

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi, and Welcome.
I do not know of any freeze plugs on the 750....doubt the 700 has one either.

I suspect he might be viewing a hole which is missing a pipe or hose attachment.
Where exactly on the engine is this problem/issue ?

WiliiamTech :smiley_th
Wow thanks to all of you for replying! The hole is right behind the forward controls for the rear brake foot peg area.. any thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
After your total posts reach (I think) 5, you will be allowed to post pics.

.....post a couple pics of the problem area.

:smiley_th
not sure if i did it right, but i'm attempting to upload two pics.. any thoughts as to what the hole is? it's right behind the forward controls/brake pedal board area..

Attachments

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
That looks to be a plug right where the water pump impeller is. Just might be a freeze plug. I will have to go look at mine and some parts schematics to verify.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Not on any schematics I can find. And I haven't been out to my bike to verify. I have a spare cover out in storage I could look at as well. Might be a few days before I get out there but you might end up changing out that cover, which isn't too difficult.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
My '02 has what appears to be a plug there too. I never noticed it before because it is covered by the footpeg bracket. It is directly above the coolant drain screw on the bottom of the engine, which means it is over the water pump. I could not find it on any schematic either, which probably means it is a permanent part of the engine cover, and not replaceable. I have never had the cover off on mine, so I don't know what is behind it. There are probably pictures on here somewhere showing the back side of that cover. It's possible it could be welded shut, or replaced with another plug, if not you would need to replace the entire right side cover.

IMO, there is no such thing as a "freeze" plug. They are correctly called "core plugs" The only reason they are there (at least on automotive engines) is to fill the holes left from casting the coolant passages in the block. Some racing blocks have them welded shut. They are a major problem on car engines, because they are prone to corrosion, and because of where most of them are located, you have to pull the engine or transmission to replace them. I have seen many blocks cracked from freezing, and never once saw a core plug pushed out. Some people think they were put there on purpose, to protect the block against damage from frozen coolant expanding. But that is not actually the case.

·
Super Moderator
2,591 Posts
Exactly Jerry, core plugs, not freeze plugs.

used during casting of the block to allow removal of the sand that forms the water jackets, and other passages that are not/cannot be machined.

I have worked on many older cars that would allow some of the plugs to be replaced (on one side of engine) due to clearance, but your right, to do all of them, usually requires an engine yank.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i have a spare side cover for cheap if you want it send me a pm or give me a call my number is down there in my sig line

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
They still function like freeze plugs, but around here they're called soft plugs.

Although, I've seen minute freeze cracks right beside a plug. Maybe shouldn't have used the sealer when installing.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i was trying a few things on the 94 vn750 that i am working on for a friend and low and behold the plug in question just popped out wtf

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
just pulled the cover and i am glad i did because there are two plugs the first one that is visible from the outside of the engine is the larger of the two the other is in the backside of the right side cover in the area of the lower radiator hose area

1 - 15 of 15 Posts