Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello To All.
So last night and today after my sons bday i had some free time. So i decided to work on the vn. Installed new Cup holder on the bars, Mounted My new mean streak seat, Debadged side covers, Installed Amber LEDs under the gas tank, Started Removing Decals and this is where i have a question. Has anyone removed there decals? It appears there is no clear coat under the decals. Did i just mess up my tins or is there something i dont know? If So does anyone know someone who does painting in the Dallas area for a decent price? I put a before and after picture.

Attachments

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
I think you realize now that you should have looked into this a little further before starting. Personally I think that bike looked pretty good as it was and adding the new seat did not destroy any of the looks and possible enhanced it a bit. I like the gold lettering as it was. If there is no clear coat under the Kawi name then you will need some paint repair as you will always have a potential problem with spilled fuel. Once you clean that up you can only go so far with wax. I believe you will need to have the tank refinished to maintain the look it previously had.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Nice seat!

-Sloppy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I'm happy how the seat came out. Now I'm waiting on new grips and blinkers to come in. Any ideas for a nice custom paint job that not outrages looking kinda dark and sleek looking. I'm kind of happy I messed up the paint now it's gonna push me more to get a paint job.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
The whole tank should be clear coated, I can't see why they would slap the decals on, then clear. If for some chance that's not the case try going to a sign making shop or some place where you can by a can of "one shot" clear. It's a brush on painters use to clear over pinstriping.

·
Banned
3,057 Posts
The whole tank is clear coated, and the stickers are under the clear coat. The clear coat is very thin, which is why the stickers came off so easy. But it is still thick enough to leave very rough edges. I don't believe there is any way to fix it, other than to completely repaint the tank. Even if you spray more clear over it, the raised edges from the original clear coat will still be there.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
The whole tank is clear coated, and the stickers are under the clear coat. The clear coat is very thin, which is why the stickers came off so easy. But it is still thick enough to leave very rough edges. I don't believe there is any way to fix it, other than to completely repaint the tank. Even if you spray more clear over it, the raised edges from the original clear coat will still be there.
x2 ....I agree.

:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I don't rally know a bout the decals but the emblems came off and i just took some lighter fluid on a rag to get the sticky residue off.

I suspect the others may be right about the decals though. Fear not!!!,you already have a mess. That means you gotta fix it. Get some oops! or lighter fluid first and get all the sticky mess off of where the letters were.Still a mess? out comes the sandpaper and Patience ,Get some 1000 grit first and hand sand with water to get the edges smooth where the letters were,don't over do it and get into the color more than necessary . when it starts felling close switch to 1500 grit and wet sand some more, this is going to take a while .

After you get it as smooth as you can and I mean really smooth. Let it dry it will be dull looking, go to the automotive and buy you some rattle can clear or get a couple of cans when you pick up your sandpaper.Wipe it down with a lint free rag and mask off any areas that still look good.It would be easier to take the tank off as well you will get nasty stuff all mover your bike.

Get everything warm in a heated space and start spraying light coats of clear back on where you took it off. Let it tack up between coats and let it dry at least 24 hrs.

Here is the scary part ,if it has orange peel or runs get some 2000 grit paper and wet sand it and then use some swirl remover and polish it out and then wax it if you are patient you can hide your mess rather well. If you don't want to do that much work yourself,take it to your best friend who does body work and let him do it for you.

If you take your time you can do it and if you don't get any runs you may just be able to polish it out after the clear is on without having to sand youe pretty fresh clear coat, Good luck either way.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What year is that seat off and what exactly did you have to do to it?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,363 Posts
I would try Denny's method with the tank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts