Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. soooo i busted the head off of one of the petcock bolts in the gas tank!... no biggy right???.. wrong.... this sucker is in there for good!...the first easyout extractor... busted it.. got it out .. the extractor that is.. the 2nd one.. snap!!!.. are you kidding me????.. these things are like the hardest metal known to man!.. try and drill one of these extractors out!.. no go!....so now I have a busted bolt with an extractor filler in a bolt hole in the gas tank!.. good times!.. gave up for now.. baught some RTV red and sealed it up useing only one bolt.. probably wont work but its been sitting there cureing for a day now.. gonna try it this evening. maybe.... or jsut pour the gas on the seat and set fire to it....LOL

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yeah the easy out extractors are hardened steel to the point of being brittle and easy to break but can't be drilled. (Go figure) Sometime you can get the extractor/easy out out with a pair of needle nose vise grips if there is some to get hold of. Turn it clockwise and pull a bit as you turn it. As for the bolt...some left hand drill bits and keep increasing the size as you go. It may come out but if you start seeing threads a tap the same size as the bolt will take care of the rest.

If the threads get messed up get some hellocoils<<<(think that is what they are called) that help with stripped out threads or you could go up 1 size on the bolt.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.. I was thinking I would just try and drill the whole thing out to a bigger size and re-tap the hole... the extractor broke to deep to get a hold of.... after I clean all of the RTV off...LOL.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Try useing a pointed punch and tap it in a clockwise direction. It may pop loose. You will make a huge mess trying to drill it out and may wind up needing a new tank.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Time and patience and holdin your tongue right is all that is needed. lol

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just looked at the pics of the tank that someone cut in half... I think I'm screwed.. the bolt screws into a nut that is tacked on the inside of the tank.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you can get the easy out extractor out you can drill the old bolt out in incraments RE; keep going up a size drill bit and retap the nut as long as you don't go beyond the threads. Im not sure what size the bolt is but don't go any bigger with the drill bit, maybe stay one size below and just get the rest out with a thread tap. Just have to stay streight in the broken off bolt.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on this issue....ended up JB welding the petcock to the tank...held well for a while.. but I am guessing that there was to much vibration or something.. she leaks like mad.. guess I am gonna be buying a tank.. arg!

·
Registered
93 Posts
do u have access to a welder? if so, place a nut on top of the broken bolt flat so u can look through it and see the broken bolt. fill the nut with the weld... welding the nut to the broken bolt. The trick is to do it slowly and build up the heat. this turns whatever is causing it to stick into ash, then u have something to put a wrench on to back it out. Obviously let ur tank air out good before doing this and make sure the cap is open.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I have thought about doing that.. but the guy that tryed to get it out for me really buggered up the hole and the nut.. not sure its fixable....thought about takeing it to a fab shop and haveing them cut it out and wel me a new set up in.. but that might be costly.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok soo I lost a bid for the tank on Ebay... going to try the "waterweld" by JB welb next...ugh!... all else fails I found a guy in Tulsa that will cut the area out of rht tank that hold the petcock on and have new nuts welded in and then put it back for me.. at $180 bucks..I know his sister so I might get it cheaper..LOL.

·
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner
261 Posts
New Tank Available

A few years ago, I had a leak in my tank, right where the mounting tab attaches. I took it to the local radiator shop, and they fixed it. While that was going on, I bought a brand new tank that I stumbled across on ebay. When I got the tank back from the radiator shop, it was fine and has not leaked a bit in years. So I still have in my basement a brand new tank (I think from an '86 or so, black with red stripes) that has never been mounted on a bike! I MIGHT be willing to part with it for the right price, but it cost me a lot so I would like to get a lot. Are you interested?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I am going to go cheap again and try and fix my tank...I am thinking I can jsut cut the petcock mounting area out and replace it with a patch and new nuts and have it welded back in place.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Here is another thought.....Take a plate & make it to look like where the petcock goes & weld the nuts to the plate. Then drill out the holes where the old nuts were on the tank & make them big enough that the nuts on the plate will go through the Tank. Then weld all the way around the plate/tank. that way if you break a bolt again you can grind off the plate and replace it with another one.
Hope you understand.

I think I am going to go cheap again and try and fix my tank...I am thinking I can jsut cut the petcock mounting area out and replace it with a patch and new nuts and have it welded back in place.

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Wow - I feel your pain dude. Only it sounds like you have it even worse than I did! However it works out, good luck amigo. I know I was DYING every day I lost riding time, thinking of that damn rusty bolt that gave me headaches.... NNNNOOOooooo! HA ha ha!

The nice thing is that this too shall pass. Hopefully for real cheap!

AZ Kev

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Aw that sucks. In hindsight after you broke the first easy out I would have soaked the hole with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench for a day or so. Too bad its ruined. I saw some tanks on ebay.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I havn't had time to get the tank off the bike jsut yet.. been out of town for a few days.. the wife seems to think it is not the JB weld that is leaking but the petcock itself!..one can only hope!..I will know more on Saterday when I get home and get it off the bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts