Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did this today, wanted to slice the frame in between the two bolts on the front cross frame /bolt mount... And slice inbetween the two center 6mm Allen bolts behind the kickstand...My thinking is that the flat stock I will hold it together with ease I don't plan on sitting on her with the kickstand down (I wouldn't do it even unmodified). But it should hold her up when parked... What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Hmmmm....something in the back of my head screams bad idea. Besides the aesthetics.... I can see some things going just out of alignment if you ride over a pot hole or a big bump. You are also transferring more stress to each of those bolts on the engine mount. I dunno man its your bike, just my $.02

·
Registered
41 Posts
It´s Your bike ...and life... (dangerous idea IMHO)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Is that a crack behind the kickstand?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
The reason I'm asking is because my 85 frame turned to Swiss cheese in that area

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Mine swayed in snake grooves and didn't like concrete expansion joints.went into a violent headshake at about thirty halfway through a turn and threw me to the ground.I'd be looking for a frame...

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
OK, I have to jump in on this one. I did a similar mod to mine several thousand miles ago, probably on my 3rd stator change if I remember right.
I never posted anything about it as I knew it would attract a ton of negativity. :boxing:

But, I did it a bit different. I had a piece of tight fitting pipe fit into the vertical portion of the frame with bolts running thru it locking that all together. Anyone who has seen my bike never noticed the mod.
The clutch cable clip covered the cut in the frame. The other cut was back on the lower portion of the frame, just behind the oil sight glass. This had an exterior piece of pipe holding it.

Now, unless your as adventurous as I & willing to do multiple stator changes, this should never be necessary. But it is possible & stable. I did about 30,000 miles with my frame this way.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
OK, I have to jump in on this one. I did a similar mod to mine several thousand miles ago, probably on my 3rd stator change if I remember right.
I never posted anything about it as I knew it would attract a ton of negativity. :boxing:

But, I did it a bit different. I had a piece of tight fitting pipe fit into the vertical portion of the frame with bolts running thru it locking that all together. Anyone who has seen my bike never noticed the mod.
The clutch cable clip covered the cut in the frame. The other cut was back on the lower portion of the frame, just behind the oil sight glass. This had an exterior piece of pipe holding it.

Now, unless your as adventurous as I & willing to do multiple stator changes, this should never be necessary. But it is possible & stable. I did about 30,000 miles with my frame this way.
A tight fitting pipe would keep everything in line way better than flat stock. I've actually seen that done on a few bikes in a few ways. If you can maximize the stability of the area you cut it shouldn't be a problem. The key is considering each and every way that section of frame can move and then try to work against those forces.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

Much stronger than flat stock. I would go one step farther and tack weld it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Kanuck 69 what size pipes did you use for both cuts?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what size pipes fit tightly for a mc frame?

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Yeah if that's a crack ( and OldDirtyDoc knows crack) then I'd not be ridin on that. Frames can be had at the junk yard that are probably in ride condition for not much.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Crack.Crack.twitch Twitter twitch

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
pretty bird pretty bird. Polly wants a crack whore

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Heck...I got a frame, just no title for it.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's not a crack

1 - 20 of 23 Posts