Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Painted the wheels and engines on a couple of my Vulcans with a hi-temp paint. I’ve used several over the years, but they always seem to be too bright. I found some with a little ivory in it which toned down the brightness of the silver and made it look like factory. I’m very pleased with the results. I’ll put the paint in the next post as important not outside to see what it’s name is right now.

Here’s the results. :)

Attachments

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics. Other engine and wheels.

Attachments

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Really does look great.

In case pictures ever go down:
Dupli-Color Engine
DE1650 Cast Coat Aluminum

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have been after some decent looking engine paint and that colour looks just right when I rebuilt my vn I could not find a decent shade so left has is but I am rebuilding a cx650 engine and that will do nicely going on the net now to see if we can get it in the uk thanks for posting that it's a great help

·
Registered
61 Posts
Searched ebay and the net and the only ones I could find are all in the USA where they get there postage rates from I don't know £53 to post to the UK

·
Registered
273 Posts
The high temp black I put on my engine sucked. I put down the primer, and seriously like 5 coats, and it looks awful. I used the can with the engine on the front, rated to a couple thousand degrees. I will have to try this!

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 500 miles on this paint and it hasn’t turned or anything. Still looks good. I did paint the exhaust flange and it went golden color after enough heat on it. Must be an upper limit to the paint at some point but not on the engine.

·
Diesel Tech
136 Posts
Looks good, thanks for the info! Definitely use it on my wheels next time I have them off.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That looks great! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

My engine is out for repairs, and full of stains from leaking coolant. I'd love to repaint!
Can you describe your process in detail?
I know very little about painting, so do I need to prime first? Sand?
What did you use to clean before painting?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Here’s a dumb question, did you paint the engine while still in the frame? Or are they all just before and after pics from your build?

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Degreased the engine, wiped with acetone, masked up everything that wasn’t engine or bits i wanted to paint.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Ah ok, sounds tedious, but doable. I asked because my engine is looking a little grizzled and could use it. My rims could probably use it too.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
15 mins prep. That paint is very good coverage so two shots about 3 to 5 mins apart.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I bought a can today for the engine (wheels will wait for now). I might go black gloss on the wheels....

I also saw Dupli-Color had an engine enamal primer, and an engine enamal clear coat. Should I use these? The can also recommended I run scotchbright over the surface before painting. Should I? What about areas where the paint seems to be chipping off? Will the Acetone damage any of the gaskets? Should I cover/mask off the gaskets when spraying?

Forgive my questions, my paint knowledge is close to 0. My first attempt at painting my gas tank resulted in fogging when gas touched it. Second attempt, it wrinkled the first time it saw the sun. I've gotten compliments on the wrinkle, so I'm keeping it, but it wasn't the desired surface finish. When I painted my truck, the paint bubbled!

As a result of these mis-haps, I want to make 100% sure I do everything exactly right, because what I thought I knew was wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts