Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone recognize the brand? Snagged these for $43 and shipping. :pepper:

I used to see a lot of bags with two pockets like these, but wasn't finding any last night. I thought maybe these were River Road, but couldn't match theirs up. Guess I can wait until they get here, lol. Some similar to these were $200 and up. Hoping they're zip-off, they're easier to take off right? They don't give a lot of details.

The tag just says Chrome Plated Studs and their measurement of the length must have included the pockets, at 24", and they're supposed to be heavy duty, synthetic leather, Made in Pakistan.

Whaddya think? Any tips for a saddlebag newb? I know I'm going to need some bars and maybe relocate the turn sigs, right?

Black Synthetic Leather with Chrome Plated Studs and Chrome Plated Brass Buckles. Each bag measures 11”x 23”x 7”. Heavy-Duty Throw-Over Saddlebags with Original Tags still attached.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
nice find!

I wanted side pockets on saddlebags, but never found them myself.

They look good...the only thing that I can think of that might be an issue would be getting access to the rear facing pockets because the relocated turn signals might be in the way.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Synthetic Leather......plastic.

Make sure they don't come close to the pipes and don't rub the shocks.

Metal goods from Pakistan are kinda cheap, so make sure those "chrome plated studs" are chromed on both sides as they will leak rust if not.

But looks good for the price.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Good find. Like was already mentioned, supports to keep away from shocks and. Relocate the signals. Should be good to go.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
They look a lot like the ones LeatherUp sells....think they had em for $80 plus shipping...

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the bags in the mail and they're immaculate, never used, and also zip-off. Starting to think they may be too large for the bike, but I only tossed them on for a minute and the turn signals are in the way of setting them to the back. Can't get them too large, can you? The height is good and they had about 2" clearance over the mufflers.

No identifying labels, just three tags and a Made in Pakistan label. The tags just say, 'Easy Quick', 'Chrome Plated Brass Buckles', and 'Chrome Plated Studs'. So I have no idea what brand they could be, but still a great buy at $43.

Looks like I'll be needing some bars and signal relocator brackets.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I went with some Viking Bags and have no regrets. I used the throwover and the hard mount to secure. The zip off is a good option to have, but I'd still rig some additional securing from the inside to the bag supports. Something easy enough to remove without tools, maybe wingnuts.

I have some pix of mine in my profile, two albums "Saddlebags (show mounting) and Bike (side pix)". The relocator brackets are a must. I still need to get mine powdercoated, but hate to have them off for the week or so to get them done. :(

http://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=512&pictureid=4226

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
my bags (when they are on) are throw over and zip off.

I have the kawasaki F&S bag hardware on my bike (along with the relocated turn signals from them).

The bags I have are unknown make/origin. They are zip off, and have several velcro loops to secure them to the metal bag supports.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine has the leather ties to tie off on the supports. Suppose I could make some holes for bolts, but I hate to start drilling holes in them.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Can't get them too large, can you?
Ummm.....nahhh.... my criteria is you gotta be able to fit a dozen tallboys in each side.....ice optional....if you can do that, you can pack enough stuff for a 3-4 day trip no problem....

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh no, I can't have beer without ice, and a touch of salt makes it even colder. But I ain't puttin' salt on my bag.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got these mounted!

Finally got these mounted, seem to fit ok, but the supports aren't as long as I thought they would be. There's no way to tie off to the supports without poking holes in the bags, and then the ties are going to be really high up. The bottoms do contact the shocks on the back of the bag.

Haven't installed my turn signals yet, not sure if I'm keeping these signals I picked up or looking for another set. I've found at least two other sets I like a lot better. For relocating, I'm making a bracket to mount them off of the license plate, then I can tie the rear D-rings to that bracket.

Speaking of D-rings, these were so flimsy they started bending open when I tied the bags down. The ends of the rings were trying to cut the loops on the bags, so I went to the locksmith and got some key rings.

I like having all the extra pockets and the easy access.

How do they look?

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I like em....Id need to add a fringe to em though like I did to my seat....Id prefer them a lil lower though...my bags are just 3-4 inches from my pipes, but thats because I made my own hangers....but mine sit lower...a lower CG is better, especially if packing a passenger....

Tops of mine are even with the engine heads....

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Had them sitting lower, then I decided I better get them up away from the pipes more and took the saddle strap up one hole. I was feelin' a good bit of heat in the front pockets. That's a low angle on the camera too.

I think your pipes ride a lot lower than stock, my pipe centers on the rear axle and there's exactly 1" clearance on the bottom of the bag. Hope that's enough. Never had bags like these before, had hard luggage on the Goldwing and that's it. I may not be done adjusting them yet, don't know if the strap will stretch any or not.

Now to get the signals done, going to end up with red running lights on the rear too.

I'll get a pic from another angle once I get the lights on.

edit: I'll have to look and see if they've moved. I just went out to measure the clearance and it looks like they're sitting higher in that pic than they are now. hmmm

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
What Ive seen done too, to get bags lower, is to take some stainless steel flashing, and pop rivet it to the bottoms...ya cant see it, and it helps....just a thought in case you wanna go lower....

And yeah, my muffs DO in fact ride lower than stock....plus the heat is more rear, than by the bags....the fishtails I put on now, run hotter where they are, so I left the bags same height....smaller diameter though, so the distance increased....centers stayed the same....mine are thick leather too, not synthetic or composite....best way to tell, is to take a 1/2 hr hard ride, them place your hand on the bag side closest to the pipe....if ya cant touch it, its too close....shields work though...I learned that from a guy with a 42 Flatty....

If ya look at the new Indian Chief Vintage....its bags are same place yours are..... http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/chief-vintage-motorcycle

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Indian looks to me like it might have 3" or so above the pipes, not including the fringe. I'd hate to undo three buckles every time I opened a bag, glad mine have the quick latch buckles under the straps.

I do have some aluminum flashing around. Use some good adhesive maybe, if I need a shield. Hate to start punching holes in them so soon.

Need to find two of the belt loops that snap on for the ends of the straps on the left side, those were missing. Can see them on the right side in the pic.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
The Indian's are deceiving....only about 2"....but if viewed from the rear, they are out from the pipes a bit....so really, only the inside seam part is close....

For those loops...check at a tack shop (that horse place)....they usually carry that kinda stuff if they do leather repair....KC just got his bags fixed at a tack shop....

Dunno about adhesive....I think the heat would melt it....6 pop rivets each side and yer done (all bottom, wont see anything)....I got pop rivets all over my vintage bags now, lol...cant really see em unless ya look close.....nice replacement for the stitching....Id prefer my bags to leak on the bottom anyway...in case, to drain a beer that might burst open, lol....ultimately, up to you....

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I figured out, the bags must have slipped down some since I took that pic. So when I measured the 1", they had already moved from where they were in the pic.

Guess the saddle strap must have stretched, had to move the laces up another hole, could barely get one finger under the left bag. Also noticed the left tailpipe sits higher than the right.

After raising them up, the tops are close to even with the heads.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Also noticed the left tailpipe sits higher than the right.

After raising them up, the tops are close to even with the heads.
Thats cool....you can try to even the pipes out by loosening the right one, then moving the end....its because of that bend and angle by the tranny that they dont always line up....loosen the head end too if you try it....its a pivot thing....jack up the middle, the end will be lower....thats how I do it anyway....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts