Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've had my '86 VN750 for about 3 years and I love it! It's my first bike and it has been very low maintenance and a lot of fun.
Little things are beginning to go wrong, though, so I wanted to join the forum for info and advice.

My major concern right now is a noise that sounds like it may be valve tap; seems like its coming from the top of the engine.

I look forward to cruising through the threads for service and maintenance nuggets!

Cheers,

Span

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome to the forum friend.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Welcome. If it is the cam chain tensioners, you need to do something about it quickly, before it causes a lot of internal engine damage. Do the Grambo trick, if that quiets it down, then go ahead and order the TOC manual tensioners. I have had them for over 40,000 miles, they are without a doubt the best thing I've ever done for my bike.

Couldn't help but notice, ANOTHER 1986. It is hard to believe how many 1986 models they made compared to other years, and how long they have survived. The '86 models must have been the best year for the VN750, I have an '02, and I doubt there will be any of them still around after that long. My '02 developed cam chain tensioner problems in less than 15,000 miles.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Search the threds and read about how you can convert ACCT's to MCCT's for very
little money out of your pocket. I did mime over 15,000 miles ago and they are still going strong. With the right metric bolts and lock nuts and some rubber wachers they
can easily be converted. All this can be done for under 10.00 dollors. Check it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for welcome!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and great advice!
I will research the linked info and see if this is something I think I can do myself. At first glance, the Grambo trick doesn't look too difficult, but I've known make a lot of simple jobs very complicated :eek:
And yes, am interested in a long-term fix, so I'll be looking into your suggestions about replacing my ACCTs.

Will post back my progress.

-span

1 - 9 of 9 Posts