Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to lance328 sticky on fork seals and roach video on youtube, I was able to dissasemble and re-assemble my forks. The process is pretty straight forward, and with a limited amount of tools and a couple of runs to my local hardware store, I was able to do it in an afternoon on my kitchen counter.

I've encountered a curious problem, however. When I attempt to place to outer fork seals on forks (after mounted on the bike), there is about a half-centimeter of the last cylinder (short one that goes on top of the big spring and spacer) that prevents me from setting the forkseal in to place. After pressing it into the top of the forks, it sticks out about half a centimeter and won't give. It's not air or oil pressure - there seems to be something in the way that is not permitting it to go all the way down.

Now this is the very last step in installing the forks, so I don't want to take my forks apart if I don't have to to see what the problem is. Has any one else encountered this type of problem when installing forks?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I fixed it myself. I took the forks off the bike again and it worked just fine. I don't know what the deal was, but it was far easier for me with the forks off.

Thanks, though. After a spring tuneup, she's back on the road!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Were you have trouble with the part that has the air valve in it. If so I use a flat bar and go under the handle bar and push the valve down into the fork tube.
Glad you got it done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it was the part that has the air valve for the earlier models. Mine is a '94 so it doesn't have it, but I had a much easier time just pressing it against the ground and securing it that way. Next time I'll try it your way, but I doubt I'll have to change the forks again for the rest of the natural life of the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts