Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going down the highway on my recently purchased '94 Vulc I went to pass someone and was doing about 75-80 MPH and I started feeling this slow vibration coming up through the handlebars that got more intense as speed increased. I looked down at the front wheel and saw the whole assembly shuddering back and forth rapidly. once I slowed to about 65-70 the shuddering was much less pronounced.

I'm not sure if the Vulc is trying to tell me that I shouldn't be going that fast or if I have a serious problem that I need to have looked at.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I would like to emphasize that I'm not a reckless rider, I was only going that fast to get past a car that was driving erratically and I felt was a threat.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Going down the highway on my recently purchased '94 Vulc I went to pass someone and was doing about 75-80 MPH and I started feeling this slow vibration coming up through the handlebars that got more intense as speed increased. I looked down at the front wheel and saw the whole assembly shuddering back and forth rapidly. once I slowed to about 65-70 the shuddering was much less pronounced.

I'm not sure if the Vulc is trying to tell me that I shouldn't be going that fast or if I have a serious problem that I need to have looked at.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I would like to emphasize that I'm not a reckless rider, I was only going that fast to get past a car that was driving erratically and I felt was a threat.
Was the wheel shuddering back and forth or the fork assembly?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fork assembly was. It wasn't shuddering where the forks are connected to the frame, just down where the wheel and brake assembly are.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
You may have an out of round tire, or it may just need to be balanced.:beerchug:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I was thinking, is it as dangerous as it feels?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
It may not be dangerious but I would get it fixed ASAP.:smiley_th

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Check and tighten every nut and bolt on your front end. My bro put his vintage gold wing in the ditch totaling it because the triple clamp bolts were loose. After that incident, I check and tighten every season.

DT

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took her to a Kawasaki dealer and they told me both my tires were low! 12 in the front and 10 in the rear! I got a scolding from the mechanic and really learned my lesson. The tires "looked" fine so I didn't bother checking the pressure. I'm definitely checking that more often. I took it on the highway and the shuddering was much less noticeable but I looked down and could still see the forks shuddering a little bit but that was at a much higher speed.

Thanks for the help guys

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Buy an air gauge, and check the tire pressure often. (Look them over often as well for damage.) I have several/many gauges, if you can't swing one, let me know and we'll call it and early x-mas gift...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha thanks but I think I have a few myself. It was weird because the tires looked fine. But obviously I wasn't sitting on the bike. I'm definitely going to be more diligent from now on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts