Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

fork seals replacement.

5K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  750Doug 
#1 · (Edited)
I got the oil seals and dust covers. What all do I need to disassemble to replace them??? I just need info on the fork procedure. I have the book, but I am not sure if all I need is to remove the retainer clip at the top or do I need to take more parts off.
Thanx.

Don't reply. I used the search feature and found what I need. Thanx.

#5 ·
Niterider, can you shoot me any additional (to what slim found) links for the proc? I wanted to try the same (Guest forks need new seals - figured I'd see if I can make them useable again). I do remember someone in the Chicago area (??) who had a friend help him with something to do with the forks - shot a whole bunch of pictures as they went along. Anyone recall who that was? CCSpinner, perhaps??

#6 · (Edited)
I think that was bulldog. Yup! here it is!
Don't for to check this out. You may want to print these pages if you don't have the Clymers.
This link was at the bottom of the page.

#11 ·
Hello,
I would like to replace the fork oil. I've read the clymers and bulldog's website but my problem is, that my English isn't so good to understand everything. Sorry for that. My VN750 is a 1994 Model without the air-valves on the top of the fork. When I unscrew the caps I'm wondering how do I get the top of the fork unscrewd to get the ne oil into the forks. The only thing I see is a srew - nothing to get it unscrewd.

Thank you.

#12 ·
Threr is nothing to unscrew, under the cap is the fork spring seat and it is held in by a snap ring. Press down on the spring seat to remove the snap ring. Drain the fluid first as the fork will be under pressure!! I would suggest getting a Clymer manual and follow directions. Good Luck. :smiley_th

#14 ·
I have other projects going on at the same time that I haven't gotten to that one yet.
I have plans for my blue 74 pick-up (another trans & engine & other work that I want to do to it).
I recently move, luckily only across the street, now I am fixing a place for my chickens.
Thanx for asking, Doug.

#15 ·
Hello VN750-Riders,

I've just made a frok oil change and now I have a problem. :( I've followed the instructions of the clymer.
1. Take off the top cap of the fork
2. Take off the the two fork things
3. Turn it up side down
4. The spacer, the fork spring and a washer came out - and the oil
5. Wait untill the complete oil came out.
6. Put the fork spring into the fork
7. Put fresh fork oil into the fork untill the air distance is 150 mm (compressed fork - distance between the notch and the oil level)
8. Put the washer and the spacer into the fork
9. Put the topcat into the fork and get the ring into the groove that the top ca is fixed.

The fork makes noise now. Just like something is scratching inside of the fork. Did anyone had a similar problem ? Help :wow:

#19 ·
Okay, I have one fork off and the seal and dust seal off. I drained the oil from the drain screw at the bottom. How do I add oil to the fork. do I need to fill it before replaceing the oil seal??? I am off to work I'll be back tonite at 11:30.

#20 ·
the scratch noise ist gone. Seems that it took a little time that the oils went everywhere because I cleaned the fork with gasoline but I have to reopen it again to gauge the oil level again.

@niterider: I think you have to replace all seals before you fill the fork with the fresh oil.

#23 ·
Yes, I used Haynes. I got it done. I used permatex huydralic jack oil. It says on the bottle that it is also for motorcycle forks. The only thing that I did not do, but may do later is check the fork oil level. I just poured in the amount that they said 10.5 oz. for an oil change.
Thanx for all the help and advise.

#24 ·
Niterider, you posted that the book said to use 10.5oz of oil.

In the link by Chad & Bulldog, they posted that they used 12.4oz.

A 2oz difference in the low volume fork tubes might be something I would think...

Just something I've noticed as I'm about to tackle this job myself for the first time this week. Maybe I'll split the difference and use 11.6 LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.