Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing my bent fork tubes ....

Anyone know which, if any, other bikes interchange with the fork oil and dust seals?

Tried looking it up, but the problem seems to be Kaw using different part numbers for each bike, even if it's the same part.

Trying to save a buck, I can go to the shop and plunk down $50-60 or I can shop Ebay and get a pair of OEM seals for $8.99 shipped. But right now, nobody lists them for the 750. Ayers and everyone else is par with the shop price.

Meanwhile.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-NklWACrzs

Found Roach's great video on fork seals, and this additional tip: Loosen the bottom allen screw before removing the forks (DO NOT REMOVE until spring tension is released). Keep the fork in the triple tree to remove the top circlip and cap. Also, use the lower fork as a slide hammer to pop the seal out! Check out his video.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
as for dust seals you are going to want to go oem or if the old ones arent damaged you can reuse them

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
as for dust seals you are going to want to go oem or if the old ones arent damaged you can reuse them
I used some Sportster dust seals on mine they are the same Brand Forks and same diameter,Showa I think. Wouldn't doubt if they aren't cheaper than most as well, I think a set were less than 10 bucks at the local dealer.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had changed my search terms and came up with more results. Found some kits with all four seals, but need to call the company tomorrow to be sure what they have. $21, shipped, for a full set is a pretty good deal, better than $60. Ir that doesn't work out, I'll snag the pair for 8.99 and hunt for dust seals.

That second link, not sure what the white parts are, they look like washers.

38x52x11(mm) is the size. Found that on a lot of different bikes. Kaw ZL1000, even the CB350 Honda.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll look them up before I order, Kanuck.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Had changed my search terms and came up with more results. Found some kits with all four seals, but need to call the company tomorrow to be sure what they have. $21, shipped, for a full set is a pretty good deal, better than $60. Ir that doesn't work out, I'll snag the pair for 8.99 and hunt for dust seals.

That second link, not sure what the white parts are, they look like washers.

38x52x11(mm) is the size. Found that on a lot of different bikes. Kaw ZL1000, even the CB350 Honda.
:smiley_th
I pd big bucks....$60. ? ? ? or so.

WTG

:smiley_th

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Spockster just an FYI... HERE is a thread on Fork Swap Information... It has all most all the information a guy could want to know about Forks.
Lol, hey slim, your link goes to your profile.

Spockster, the nice hint is they're local (ohio) so it's a quick ship.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot all about that thread until now.

Looked at Rusty Rider, but I'll have to give them a call, don't see dust seals. They do have a pair of oil seals at $7.99.

Rode 3000 miles last summer and hardly noticed .... rode 50 miles this month and wrenched my back out because it pulls so much to the left. Took my hands off the bars and I was hanging off the right side. Muscle memory can be a strange thing.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those links don't really cover fork seals, there are 38mm forks listed, but the other two dimensions of their seals are unknown. The second one only covers bearings.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
Forgot all about that thread until now.

Looked at Rusty Rider, but I'll have to give them a call, don't see dust seals. They do have a pair of oil seals at $7.99.

Rode 3000 miles last summer and hardly noticed .... rode 50 miles this month and wrenched my back out because it pulls so much to the left. Took my hands off the bars and I was hanging off the right side. Muscle memory can be a strange thing.
Is it squirrely over grooves in the road? I thought my forks were at cause and it acted weird turning left.turned out the frame was cracked in two places by the kickstand and a section of swiss cheese by where it turns up in the rear.something to check out.was having fork issues as well.would feel better if you checked.hopefully it's just forks, but best to be sure.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doesn't go wild on cracks, mainly just pulling to the left.

A couple of times though, while in a slow left turn like an intersection or pulling onto a road, it felt like I popped a rock (on asphalt), but I never did see one.
Going to check the stem bearings and the frame too.

The bars will wobble sometimes when I take my hands off. I'll report back if I find anything new.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I don't believe they had the dust seals but I was able to reuse mine. They weren't that old. Mine where "ebay" jobbies that failed & needed replaced. One was really bad & the other was lightly leaking.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My original dust wipers are ok, but cracked. On the replacement forks they're blistered all to hell, and grayed out.

A couple of stores I contacted have oil seals, but nobody has the dust wipers. One place didn't even have listings for the 750.

So I may have to pay extra for the dust seals.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dimensions: 38x52x11mm

These fork seals will fit the following Kawasaki motorcycles~
VN700A VULCAN '85
VN750A VULCAN '86-PRESENT
ZL900A ELIMINATOR '85-'86
ZL1000A ELIMINATOR '87

1 - 20 of 24 Posts